Contact Dr Argyrios Zolotas
Areas of expertise
- Autonomous Systems
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Mechatronics & Advanced Controls
- Systems Engineering
- Vehicle Health Management
I have 20+ years R&D experience in academia and collaboration with industry. Established strong quantitative background and expertise in Systems and Control engineering on applications that are dynamically complex, typified by the kinds of systems in the Rail, Aerospace, process and energy industry.
Project lead (and co-Lead) on research projects funded by the public sector and by industry. Fellow of the (UK) Higher Education Academy and Senior Member of the IEEE. Awarded a Visiting Professorship with Grenoble INP (hosted by GIPSA lab) in 2018.
Recipient (together with co-authors) of IMECHE’s Railway Division John Jarrett Davis Prize 2015 for the research paper “Passive suspensions for ride quality improvement of two-axle railway vehicles”.
Recipient (together with co-authors) of ICSAE 2016’s Best Paper Award –in topic Control Systems Engineering- for paper title “Improved PID control for Tilting Trains”.
Dr Zolotas was Associate Editor on the IEEE Transactions Control Systems Technology (for 6-year term, 2012-2018), on IET Proceedings Control Theory and Applications (5-year term, 2013-2018), on IEEE CSS Letters (4-year term, 2017-2021). He is currently Associate Editor on the journals of Sustainability (MDPI) and Vibration (MDPI). He is Member of the IEEE CSS Technical Committee on Smart Cities, and of the IEEE CSS Technical Committee on Robust and Complex Systems.
We are always keen to hear from interested candidates in advanced control for Autonomous and Cyber-physical Systems. Candidates interested in control, autonomy and intelligence is recommended to contact me and have a discussion.
My expertise is on Systems and Control Engineering, includes robust control and fault tolerant control, system architecture, AI-based and data-driven control. Since joining Cranfield University he is leading work in autonomous systems for ground, aerial and and rail related concepts. I am also Course Director of the world renowned MSc in Autonomous Vehicle Dynamics and Control programme. Since January 2021 I am leading the Autonomous Systems Dynamics and Control research group within the Thematic area of Autonomy&AI (Prof G. Inalhan) of the Centre for Autonomous and CyberPhysical Systems (Prof A. Tsourdos).
To date, I have graduated (as first supervisor) 6 PhD students (co-supervised a further 5 PhD students to completion) and advised 5 Research fellows on a variety of funded research projects. In 2018 I was hosted by GIPSA lab, Grenoble INP, on a short-term visiting Professorship award.
Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)
Rheinmetall BAE Systems Land (RBSL)
Rolls Royce (via collaboration with Cranfield's Centre for Propulsion)
Articles In Journals
- Deane S, Avdelidis NP, Ibarra-Castanedo C, Williamson AA, Withers S, Zolotas A, Maldague XPV, Ahmadi M, Pant S, Genest M, Rabearivelo HA & Tsourdos A (2022) Development of a thermal excitation source used in an active thermographic UAV platform, Quantitative InfraRed Thermography Journal, Available online 03 June 2022. Dataset/s: 10.17862/Cranfield.rd.16411203
- Zhang J, Roumeliotis I & Zolotas A (2022) Sustainable aviation electrification: a comprehensive review of electric propulsion system architectures, energy management, and control, Sustainability, 14 (10) Article No. 5880.
- Liao X, Bingham C, Zolotas A, Zhang Q & Smith T (2022) Servo control of drive-trains incorporating magnetic couplings, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 58 (3) 3674-3684.
- Zhang J, Roumeliotis I & Zolotas A (2022) Model-based fully coupled propulsion-aerodynamics optimization for hybrid electric aircraft energy management strategy, Energy, 245 (April) Article No. 123239.
- Zhang J, Roumeliotis I & Zolotas A (2022) Nonlinear model predictive control-based optimal energy management for hybrid electric aircraft considering aerodynamics-propulsion coupling effects, IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, 8 (2) 2640-2653.
- Di Gialleonardo E, Santelia M, Bruni S & Zolotas A (2022) A simple active carbody roll scheme for hydraulically actuated railway vehicles using internal model control, ISA Transactions, 120 (January) 55-69.
- Pant S, Nooralishahi P, Avdelidis NP, Ibarra-Castenado C, Genest M, Deane S, Valdes JJ, Zolotas A & Maldague XPV (2021) Evaluation and selection of video stabilization techniques for UAV-based active infrared thermography application, Sensors, 21 (5) Article No. 1604.
- Ignatyev DI, Shin H-S, Zolotas A & Tsourdos A (2021) Group design project in control engineering: Adapting to COVID-19 pandemic, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 54 (12) 68-73.
- Aloseel A, Al-Rubaye S, Zolotas A, He H & Shaw C (2021) A novel approach for detecting cyberattacks in embedded systems based on anomalous patterns of resource utilization - Part I, IEEE Access, 9 (June) 103204-103229.
- Strawa N, Ignatyev DI, Zolotas AC & Tsourdos A (2021) On-line learning and updating unmanned tracked vehicle dynamics, Electronics, 10 (2) Article No. 187. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.15156810.v1
- Aloseel A, Al-Rubaye S, Zolotas A & Shaw C (2021) Attack-detection architectural framework based on anomalous patterns of system performance and resource utilization - Part II, IEEE Access, 9 87611-87629.
- Deliparaschos KM, Michail K & Zolotas AC (2020) Facilitating autonomous systems with AI-based fault tolerance and computational resource economy, Electronics, 9 (5) Article No. 788.
- Zheng X, Zolotas AC & Goodall RM (2020) Combined active suspension and structural damping control for suppression of flexible bodied railway vehicle vibration, Vehicle System Dynamics, 58 (2) 198-228.
- Hassan F, Zolotas A & Mohd Shah S (2020) H∞ mixed sensitivity optimization for high speed tilting trains, Buletin Teknik Elektro dan Informatika / Bulletin of Electrical Engineering and Informatics, 9 (5) 1854-1860.
- Makridis E, Deliparaschos K, Kalyvianaki E, Zolotas A & Charalambous T (2020) Robust dynamic CPU resource provisioning in virtualized servers, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, Available online 15 January 2020 (2).
- Ahmadian E, Sodagar B, Mills G, Byrd H, Bingham C & Zolotas A. (2019) Sustainable cities: the relationships between urban built forms and density indicators, Cities , 95 (December) Article No. 102382.
- Albayati IM, Postnikov A, Pearson S, Bickerton R, Zolotas A & Bingham C (2019) Power and energy analysis for a commercial retail refrigeration system responding to a static demand side response, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 117 (May) Article No. 105645.
- Postnikov A, Saleh IM, Pearson S, Bingham C, Bickerton R & Zolotas AC (2019) Facilitating static firm frequency response with aggregated networks of commercial food refrigeration systems, Applied Energy, 251 (October) Article No. 113357.
- Zolotas A & Goodall R (2018) New insights from fractional order skyhook damping control for railway vehicles, Vehicle System Dynamics, 56 (11) 1658-1681.
- Mystkowski A & Zolotas A (2018) PLC-based discrete fractional-order control design for an industrial-oriented water tank volume system with input delay, Fractional Calculus and Applied Analysis, 21 (4) 1005-1026.
- Saleh I, Postnikov A, Arsene C, Zolotas A, Bingham C, Bickerton R & Pearson S (2018) Impact of demand side response on a commercial retail refrigeration system, Energies, 11 (2) Article No. 371.
- Hassan F & Zolotas A (2017) Impact of fractional order methods on optimized tilt control for rail vehicles, Fractional Calculus and Applied Analysis, 20 (3) 765-789.
- Yang J, Cui H, Li S & Zolotas A (2017) Optimized active disturbance rejection control for DC-DC buck converters with uncertainties using a reduced-order GPI observer, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, 65 (2) 832-841.
- Hassan F, Zolotas A & Smith T (2017) Optimized Ziegler-Nichols based PID control design for tilt suspensions, Journal of engineering science and technology review, 10 (5) 17-24.
- Hassan F, Zolotas A & Margetts R (2017) Optimised PID control for tilting trains, Systems Science and Control Engineering, 5 (1) 25-41.
- Deliparaschos K, Michail K, Zolotas A & Tzafestas S (2016) FPGA-based efficient hardware/software co-design for industrial systems with consideration of output selection, Journal of Electrical Engineering-Elektrotechnicky Casopis, 67 (3) 150-159.
- Michail K, Deliparaschos K, Tzafestas S & Zolotas A (2015) AI-based actuator/sensor fault detection with low computational cost for industrial applications, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 24 (1) 293-301.
- Michail K, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2014) Optimised sensor selection for control and fault tolerance of electromagnetic suspension systems: A robust loop shaping approach, ISA Transactions, 53 (1) 97-109.
- Zhou R, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2014) Robust system state estimation for active suspension control in high-speed tilting trains, Vehicle System Dynamics, 52 355-369.
- Michail K, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2013) Fallback options for airgap sensor fault of an electromagnetic suspension system, Central European Journal of Engineering, 3 (2) 206-220.
- Jiang J, Matamoros-Sanchez A, Zolotas A, Goodall R & Smith M (2013) Passive suspensions for ride quality improvement of two-axle railway vehicles, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 229 (3) 315-329.
- Michail K, Zolotas A, Goodall R & Whidborne J (2012) Optimised configuration of sensors for fault tolerant control of an electro-magnetic suspension system, International Journal of Systems Science, 43 (10) 1785-1804.
- Yang J, Zolotas A, Chen W, Michail K & Li S (2011) Robust control of nonlinear MAGLEV suspension system with mismatched uncertainties via DOBC approach, ISA Transactions, 50 (3) 389-396.
- Zhou R, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2011) Integrated tilt with active lateral secondary suspension control for high speed railway vehicles, Mechatronics, 21 (6) 1108-1122.
- Michail K, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2011) Simulation-based optimum sensor selection design for an uncertain EMS system via Monte-Carlo technique, IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 44 (1) 12650-12655.
- Du X, Dixon R, Goodall R & Zolotas A (2010) Modelling and control of a high redundancy actuator, Mechatronics, 20 (1) 102-112.
- Steffen T, Michail K, Dixon R, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2009) Optimal passive fault tolerant control of a high redundancy actuator, IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 42 (8) 1234-1239.
- Zamzuri H, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2009) Tilt control design for high-speed trains: A study on multi-objective tuning approaches, Vehicle System Dynamics, 46 535-547.
- Steffen T, Zolotas A, Dixon R & Goodall R (2009) Adaptive control of a high redundancy actuator using the geometric approach, IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 42 (8) 1581-1586.
- Li Z, Zolotas A, Jaimoukha I & Grigoriadis K (2008) Output selection with fault tolerance via dynamic controller design, IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 41 (2) 2570-2575.
- Zolotas A, Wang J & Goodall R (2008) Reduced-order robust tilt control design for high-speed railway vehicles, Vehicle System Dynamics, 46 995-1011.
- Steffen T, Davies J, Dixon R, Goodall R, Pearson J & Zolotas A (2008) Failure modes and probabilities of a high redundancy actuator, IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 41 (2) 3234-3239.
- Davies J, Steffen T, Dixon R, Goodall R, Zolotas A & Pearson J (2008) Modelling of high redundancy actuation utilising multiple moving coil actuators, IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 41 (2) 3228-3233.
- Orukpe P, Zheng X, Jaimoukha I, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2008) Model predictive control based on mixed H2/H∞ control approach for active vibration control of railway vehicles, Vehicle System Dynamics, 46 (S1) 151-160.
- Zolotas A, Chaudhuri B, Jaimoukha I & Korba P (2007) A study on LQG/LTR control for damping inter-area oscillations in power systems, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 15 (1) 151-160.
- Halikias G, Zolotas A & Nandakumar R (2007) Design of optimal robust fixed-structure controllers using the quantitative feedback theory approach, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, 221 (4) 696-716.
- Zolotas A, Goodall R & Halikias G (2007) Recent results in tilt control design and assessment of high-speed railway vehicles, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 221 (2) 291-312.
- Zamzuri H, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2006) Intelligent control approaches for tilting railway vehicles, Vehicle System Dynamics, 44 834-842.
- Zheng X, Zolotas A & Wang H (2006) Mathematica implementation of output-feedback pole assignment for uncertain systems via symbolic algebra, International Journal of Control, 79 (11) 1431-1446.
- Zolotas A, Pearson J & Goodall R (2006) Modelling requirements for the design of active stability control strategies for a high speed bogie, Multibody System Dynamics, 15 (1) 51-66.
- Pal B, Chaudhuri B, Zolotas A & Jaimoukha I (2004) Simultaneous stabilisation approach for power system damping control design through TCPAR employing global signals, IEE Proceedings: Generation Transmission and Distribution, 151 (1) 43-50.
- Chaudhuri B, Pal B, Zolotas A, Jaimoukha I & Green T (2003) Mixed-sensitivity approach to H∞ control of power system oscillations employing multiple facts devices, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 18 (3) 1149-1156.
- Zolotas A & Halikias G (1999) Optimal design of PID controllers using the QFT method, IEE Proceedings D: Control Theory and Applications, 146 (6) 585-589.
- Leung THY, Ignatyev D & Zolotas A (2022) Hybrid terrain traversability analysis in off-road environments. In: 2022 8th International Conference on Automation, Robotics and Applications (ICARA), Prague, 18 February - 20 March 2022. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.19668642
- Grzędziński K, Stéphan V & Zolotas A (2021) Wing tilt scheduling in tandem-wing VTOL configurations. In: 9th Biennial Autonomous VTOL Technical Meeting, Virtual Event, 26-28 January 2021.
- Alhammad M, Avdelidis NP, Deane S, Ibarra-Castanedo C, Pant S, Nooralishahi P, Ahmadi M, Genest M, Zolotas A, Zanotti-Fragonara L, Valdes J & Maldague XPV (2021) Diagnosis of composite materials in aircraft applications: towards a UAV active thermography inspection approach. In: SPIE Defense + Commercial Sensing, Virtual Event, 12-17 April 2021.
- Deliparaschos KM, Santha G, Zanotti Fragonara L, Petrunin I, Zolotas A & Tsourdos A (2020) A preliminary investigation of an autonomous vehicle validation infrastructure for smart cities. In: 2020 International Conference Mechatronic Systems and Materials (MSM), Bialystok, 1-3 July 2020.
- Postnikov A, Zolotas A, Bingham C, Saleh I, Arsene C, Pearson S & Bickerton R (2018) Modelling of hermostatically controlled loads to analyse the potential of delivering FFR DSR with a large network of compressor packs. In: 2017 European Modelling Symposium (EMS), Manchester, 20-21 November 2017.
- Deliparaschos K, Michail K & Zolotas A (2017) On the issue of LQG embedded control realization in a Maglev system. In: 2017 25th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED), Valletta, 3-6 July 2017.
- Hassan F, Zolotas A & Margetts R (2017) Improved PID control for tilting trains. In: 2016 International Conference for Students on Applied Engineering (ICSAE), Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, 20-21 October 2016.
- Zheng X, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2016) Combining active structural damping and active suspension control in flexible bodied railway vehicles. In: 2016 35th Chinese Control Conference (CCC), Chengdu, 27-29 July 2016.
- Deliparaschos K, Michail K, Tzafestas S & Zolotas A (2015) A model-based embedded control hardware/software co-design approach for optimized sensor selection of industrial systems. In: 2015 23rd Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED), Torremolinos, 16-19 June 2015.
- Michail K, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2013) Optimised sensor selection for control and fault tolerance: Comparison and some new results. In: 21st Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, Chania, 25-28 June 2013.
- Deliparaschos K, Michail K, Tzafestas S & Zolotas A (2013) Optimised sensor selection for control: A Hardware-in-the-loop realization on FPGA for an EMS system. In: 2013 Conference on Control and Fault-Tolerant Systems (SysTol), Nice, 9-11 October 2013.
- Zhou R, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2013) H∞-based control system and its digital implementation for the integrated tilt with active lateral secondary suspensions in high speed trains. In: 32nd Chinese Control Conference, Xi'an, 26-28 July 2013.
- Michail K, Deliparaschos K, Tzafestas S & Zolotas A (2013) AI-based low computational power actuator/sensor fault detection applied on a MAGLEV suspension. In: 21st Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, Chania, 25-28 June 2013.
- Matamoros-Sanchez A, Goodall R, Zolotas A, Jiang J & Smith M (2012) Stability control of a railway vehicle using absolute stiffness and inerters. In: UKACC International Conference on Control, (CONTROL 2012), Cardiff, 3-5 September 2012.
- Michail K, Zolotas A, Goodall R & Halikias G (2011) Optimal selection for sensor fault tolerant control of an EMS system via loop-shaping robust control. In: 19th Mediterranean Conference on Control & Automation (MED), 2011, Corfu, 20-23 June 2011.
- Michail K, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2010) An optimum sensor selection design framework applied to an electro-magnetic suspension system. In: 2010 Conference on Control and Fault-Tolerant Systems (SysTol), Nice, 6-8 October, 6-8 October 2010.
- Yang J, Zolotas A, Chen W, Michail K & Li S (2010) Disturbance observer based control for nonlinear MAGLEV suspension system. In: 2010 Conference on Control and Fault-Tolerant Systems (SysTol), Nice, 6-8 October, 6-8 October 2010.
- Zhou R, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2010) LQG control for the integrated tilt and active lateral secondary suspension in high speed railway vehicles. In: International Conference on Control and Automation, 2010 (ICCA), Xiamen, 9-11 June 2010.
- Zhou R, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2010) 9 DOF railway vehicle modeling and control for the integrated tilting bolster with active lateral secondary suspension. In: UKACC International Conference on Control 2010, Coventry, 7-10 September 2010.
- Zhou Y & Zolotas A (2010) Sensor selection in neuro-fuzzy modelling for fault diagnosis. In: 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Bari, 4-7 July 2010.
- Zhou Y, Dexter A & Zolotas A (2009) Generating training data for identifying neurofuzzy models of non-linear dynamic systems. In: 48th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and 28th Chinese Control Conference, CDC/CCC 2009, Shanghai, 15-18 December 2009.
- Dixon R, Steffen T, Davies J, Goodall R, Zolotas A, Pearson J & Du X (2009) HRA - Intrinsically fault tolerant actuation through high redundancy. In: 7th IFAC Symposium on Fault Detection, Supervision and Safety of Technical Processes, Barcelona, 30 June - 3 July 2009.
- Davies J, Steffen T, Dixon R, Goodall R & Zolotas A (2009) Active versus passive fault tolerant control of a high redundancy actuator. In: European Control Conference (ECC), Budapest, 23-26 August 2009.
- Garlick W, Zolotas A & Infield D (2008) The architecture and control of large power networks with distributed generation. In: CIGRE Canada conference on power systems : technology and innovation for the Canadian power grids of the future, Montreal, 24-29 August 2008.
- Michail K, Zolotas A & Goodall R (2008) Optimised sensor configuration for a Maglev suspension. In: 17th IFAC World Congress, Seoul, 6-11 July 2008.
- Michail K, Zolotas A, Goodall R & Pearson J (2008) MAGLEV suspensions - A sensor optimisation framework. In: 16th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, Ajaccio, 25-27 June 2008.
- Mazars E, Jaimoukha I, Li Z & Zolotas A (2007) Fault detection and isolation filter design for systems subject to polytopic uncertainties. In: 2007 Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED2007), Athens, 27-29 June 2007.
- Du X, Dixon R, Goodall R & Zolotas A (2007) LQG control of a high redundancy actuator. In: 2007 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Zurich, 4-7 September 2007.
- Steffen T, Davies J, Dixon R, Goodall R & Zolotas A (2007) Using a series of moving coils as a high redundancy actuator. In: 2007 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Zurich, 4-7 September 2007.
- Li Z, Zolotas A, Jaimoukha I, Grigoriadis K, Michail K & Pearson J (2007) Output selection under control and fault detectability considerations. In: Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED), Athens, 27-29 June 2007.
- Wang J, Zolotas A & Wilson D (2007) Active suspensions: a reduced-order ℋ∞ control design study. In: 2007 Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED2007), Athens, 27-29 June 2007.
- Zolotas A, Korba P, Chaudhuri B & Jaimoukha I (2007) ℋ2 LMI-based robust control for damping oscillations in power systems. In: 2007 IEEE Conference on System of Sytems Engineering, San Antonio, 16-18 April 2007.
- Nandakumar R, Halikias G & Zolotas A (2002) An optimisation algorithm for designing fixed-structure controllers using the QFT method. In: 2002 IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Aided Control System Design, 20 September 2002.
- Hassan F, Zolotas Z & Mohd Shah S (2021) Fractional order PID controller for SISO high speed tilting trains. In: Control and mechatronics engineering in multiple applications, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, p. 175-187.
- Zolotas A & Goodall R (2007) Modelling and control of railway vehicle suspensions. In: Mathematical methods for robust and nonlinear control, Springer, p. 373-411.