Contact Dr Antonios Antoniadis
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Autonomous Systems
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Design, Strategy & Innovation
- Flight Physics
- Renewable Energy
- Systems Engineering
- Vehicle Aerodynamics
Dr Antoniadis holds a BEng from the University of Sussex in Automotive Engineering and a MSc in Mechanical Engineering from University College London. He was awarded a PhD by Cranfield University title "High-Order Methods on Mixed-Element Unstructured Meshes for Aeronautical Applications" in 2013. He worked for the Directorate of Enterprise and Industry, European Commission in automotive legislation.
Dr Antoniadis is a Lecturer in Computational Engineering Science and the Director of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Masters program at Cranfield University. He leads a Virtual/Augmented Reality (VR/AR) laboratory within the Aircraft Integration Research center. He also leads a research group in computational engineering science on the development of:
- High-order numerical methods on unstructured grids.
- Data-driven, scale-resolving and hybrid models for turbulence.
- Software platforms for human-computer interaction for CAE applications in VR/AR.
- Numerical schemes for rotating wings and turbo-machinery.
- Multi-fidelity methods for fluid dynamics.
- High-Performance Computing parallelisation adaptive techniques on graph type data structures.
- Techniques for multi-physics modeling.
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning techniques.
- Multi-objective optimisation models.
- Stochastic models.
- Helicopter computational aerodynamics and fluid structure interaction.
- Aerodynamic performance prediction of extended formation flights.
- Morphing technologies for unmanned aerial vehicles.
- Analysis of extremely short take-off and landing all surface aircraft.
- Wind turbine and wind farm modelling.
- CFD of civil aircraft, drag prediction and high-lift devices.
- Virtual Reality for CFD and FEA.
- Fluid-structure interaction of wheel-rim-tyre systems.
- Multi-phase flow of ethylene production.
- Supersonic shock wave boundary layer interaction.
- Scale resolving turbulence modelling around bluff bodies.
- Airflow modelling of external aerodynamics.
- Modelling of chemical reactive flows and combustion in IC engines and microcombustors.
- Direct-Monte Carlo techniques for rarefied flow dynamics.
- Machine vision for driver departure warning systems on SBC.
- Deep learning techniques for turbulence modelling, shape parameterisation, meshing and optimisation.
- RedBull Racing
- European Commission
- Jaguar Land Rover
Articles In Journals
- Ricci F, Silva PASF, Tsoutsanis P & Antoniadis AF (2020) Hovering rotor solutions by high-order methods on unstructured grids, Aerospace Science and Technology, 97 (February) Article No. 105648.
- Shin HS, Antoniadis AF & Tsourdos A (2019) Parametric study on formation flying effectiveness for a blended-wing UAV, Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, 93 (1-2) 179-191.
- Ma L, Nishino T & Antoniadis AF (2019) Prediction of the impact of support structures on the aerodynamic performance of large wind farms, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 11 (6) Article No. 063306.
- Tsoutsanis P, Antoniadis AF & Jenkins KW (2018) Improvement of the computational performance of a parallel unstructured WENO finite volume CFD code for implicit large eddy simulation, Computers and Fluids, 173 (September) 157-170.
- Cruddas PH, McAdam EJ, Asproulis N, Antoniadis A, Ansari I, Best D, Jefferson B, Cartmell E, Collins G, Porca E & Peña-Varón MR (2018) Development of a staged anaerobic pond for methane recovery from domestic wastewater, Ecological Engineering, 122 (October) 169-176.
- Simmonds N, Tsoutsanis P, Antoniadis AF, Jenkins KW & Gaylard A (2018) Low-Mach number treatment for finite-volume schemes on unstructured meshes, Applied Mathematics and Computation, 336 (November) 368-393.
- Singh D, Antoniadis AF, Tsoutsanis P, Shin H-S, Tsourdos A, Mathekga S & Jenkins KW (2018) A multi-fidelity approach for aerodynamic performance computations of formation flight, Aerospace, 5 (2) Article No. 66.
- Antoniadis AF, Tsoutsanis P & Drikakis D (2017) Assessment of high-order finite volume methods on unstructured meshes for RANS solutions of aeronautical configurations, Computers and Fluids, 146 (March) 86-104.
- Tsoutsanis P, Antoniadis AF & Drikakis D (2014) WENO schemes on arbitrary unstructured meshes for laminar, transitional and turbulent flows, Journal of Computational Physics, 256 (January) 254-276.
- Antoniadis AF, Drikakis D, Zhong B, Barakos G, Steijl R, Biava M, Vigevano L, Brocklehurst A, Boelens O, Dietz M, Embacher M & Khier W (2012) Assessment of CFD methods against experimental flow measurements for helicopter flows, Aerospace Science and Technology, 19 (1) 86-100.
- Kyratsis P, Tapoglou N, Bilalis N & Antoniadis A (2011) Thrust force prediction of twist drill tools using a 3D CAD system application programming interface, International Journal of Machining and Machinability of Materials, 10 (1/2) 18-33.
- Shin HS, Antoniadis AF & Tsourdos A (2017) Parametric study on efficient formation flying for a blended-wing UAV. In: 2017 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS), Miami, FL, 13-16 June 2017.
- Ciarella A, Tsotskas C, Hahn M, Werter NPM, De Breuker R, Beaverstock CS, Friswell MI, Yang Y, özgen S, Antoniadis A, Tsoutsanis P & Drikakis D (2015) A Multi-Fidelity, Multi-Disciplinary Analysis and Optimization Framework for the Design of Morphing UAV Wing. In: 16th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, 2015, Dallas, TX, 22-26 June 2015.
- Antoniadis AF, Tsoutsanis P, Rana Z, Kokkinakis I & Drikakis D (2015) Azure: an advanced CFD software suite based on high-resolution and high-order methods. In: 53rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Kissimmee, 5-9 January 2015.
- Kokkinakis IW, Antoniadis AV, Drikakis D, Tsoutsanis P & Rana ZA (2015) High-order methods for hypersonic shock wave turbulent boundary layer interaction. In: 20th AIAA International Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference 2015, Glasgow, 6-9 July 2015.
- Antoniadis AF, Tsoutsanis P & Drikakis D (2015) Numerical Accuracy in RANS Computations of High-Lift Multi-Element Airfoil and Aircraft Configurations. In: 53rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Kissimmee, 5-9 January 2015.
- Könözsy L, Kokkinakis IW, Antoniadis AF, Rana ZA, Tsoutsanis P & Drikakis D (2015) High-order methods for shock wave turbulent boundary layer interaction. In: UK Turbulence Consortium Annual Review, Southampton, 3 September 2015.
- Antoniadis AF, Tsoutsanis P & Drikakis D (2012) High-order schemes on mixed-element unstructured grids for aerodynamic flows. In: 42nd AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference and Exhibit 2012, New Orleans, 25-28 June 2012.
- Tapoglou N & Antoniadis A (2011) Hob3D A novel gear hobbing simulation software. In: International Conference of Mechanical Engineering (ICME) 2011, London, 6-8 July 2011.
- Antoniadis AF, Iqbal KH, Shapiro E, Asproulis N & Drikakis D (2011) Comparison of high-order finite volume and discontinuous Galerkin methods on 3D unstructured grids.
- Antoniadis AF, Drikakis D, Kokkinakis IW, Tsoutsanis P & Rana ZA High-Order Methods for Hypersonic Shock Wave Turbulent Boundary Layer Interaction Flow. In: 20th AIAA International Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference, 2015, Glasgow, 6-9 July 2015.
- Antoniadis AF, Tsoutsanis P & Drikakis D Numerical Accuracy in RANS Computations of High-Lift Multi-element Airfoil and Aicraft Configurations. In: 53rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 2015, Kissimmee, Florida, 5-9 January 2015.
- Antoniadis AF, Tsoutsanis P, Rana ZA, Kokkinakis I & Drikakis D Azure: An Advanced CFD Software Suite Based on High-Resolution and High-Order Methods. In: 53rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Kissimmee, Florida, 5-9 January 2015.