Contact Dr Angel Medina Vaya
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x5045
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @@CranMycology
- Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/angel-medina/45/a52/870
Areas of expertise
Dr Medina obtained his PhD degree in Microbiology in 2007 at the University of Valencia (Spain). He was awarded the prize for the best PhD Thesis by the University of Valencia based on the novelty and quality of his research in 2008. Subsequently, he worked for almost 2 years in the food industry until he obtained a post-doctoral grant from the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation to work in the Applied Mycology Group at Cranfield University (UK) from January 2009 to August 2010. During this post-doctoral training period, he applied and was successfully granted a Marie Curie Individual Fellowship (Intra-European Fellowships for Career Development) to develop the project “Mechanism of action of antifungals against mycotoxigenic species: from molecular to phenotypic efficacy” (PIEF-GA-2009-253014) (September 2010 to August 2012). He was then part of the Applied Mycology group as Research Fellow until October 2013.
Dr Medina re-joined the Applied Mycology group (September 2014) in the new Cranfield Soil and AgriFood Institute as Research Fellow. He was quickly promoted to Academic Fellow and later on to Lecturer in Food Mycology (early 2016). From October 2018 he is Senior Lecturer in Food Mycology.
Dr Medina is currently leading research in relation to Climate Change impacts on fungal diseases of plants. He is focused on pre- and post-harvest approaches to enable fit for purpose accurate risk predictions, control and minimisation strategies for mycotoxin contamination and food waste under current and expected climate change conditions in key staple chains. This is complimented by work on the mechanisms used for ecophysiological tolerance to environmental stress and transcriptome (RNAseq) of mycotoxigenic moulds.
Parallel with this, Dr. Medina is responsible for managing the AgriFood suite of MSc Courses (3 courses). In November 2017, he successfully completed the 1st Module of a PGCert in Academic Practice at Cranfield University and is now an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Dr. Angel Medina has focused his research interests on the impact that environmental stress has on the functioning of fungi (mainly mycotoxigenic species), the mechanisms used for ecophysiological tolerance, and the molecular basis of secondary metabolite production, especially mycotoxins. He has been developing research on ecophysiology, molecular ecology and modelling of mycotoxigenic fungi growth and toxin production for more than 15 years.His current key research/interest areas are:
Other tasks include: supervision of PhD, MSc and Erasmus student projects.
Articles In Journals
- Iamanaka BT, de Souza Lopes A, Martins LM, Frisvad JC, Medina A, Magan N, Sartori D, Massi FP, Fungaro MH & Taniwaki MH (2019) Aspergillus section Flavi diversity and the role of A. novoparasiticus in aflatoxin contamination in the sugarcane production chain, International Journal of Food Microbiology, 293 (March) 17-23.
- Costa J, Rodríguez R, Garcia-Cela E, Medina A, Magan N, Lima N, Battilani P & Santos C (2019) Overview of fungi and mycotoxin contamination in Capsicum pepper and in Its derivatives, Toxins, 11 (1) Article No. 27.
- Carbó A, Torres R, Teixidó N, Usall J, Magan N & Medina A (2018) Predicted ecological niches and environmental resilience of different formulations of the biocontrol yeast Candida sake CPA-1 using the Bioscreen C, BioControl, 63 (6) 855-866.
- Garcia-Cela E, Verheecke-Vaessen C, Magan N & Medina A (2018) The``-omics’’contributions to the understanding of mycotoxin production under diverse environmental conditions, Current Opinion in Food Science, 23 (October) 97-104.
- Carbó A, Torres R, Teixidó N, Usall J, Medina A & Magan N (2018) Impact of climate change environmental conditions on the resilience of different formulations of the biocontrol agent Candida sake CPA‐1 on grapes, Letters in Applied Microbiology, 67 (1) 2-8.
- Leslie JF, Lattanzio V, Audenaert K, Battilani P, Cary J, Chulze SN, De Saeger S, Gerardino A, Karlovsky P, Liao YC, Maragos CM, Meca G , Medina A, Moretti A, Munkvold G, Mulè G, Njobeh P, Pecorelli I, Perrone G, Pietri A, Palazzini JM, Proctor RH, Rahayu ES, Ramirez ML, Samson R, Stroka J, Sulyok M, Sumarah M, Waalwijk C, Zhang Q, Zhang H & Logrieco AF (2018) MycoKey round table discussions of future directions in research on chemical detection methods, genetics and biodiversity of mycotoxins, Toxins, 10 (3) Article No. 109.
- Aldars-García L, Marín S, Sanchis V, Magan N & Medina A (2018) Assessment of intraspecies variability in fungal growth initiation of Aspergillus flavus and aflatoxin B1 production under static and changing temperature levels using different initial conidial inoculum levels, International Journal of Food Microbiology, 272 (May) 1-11.
- Garcia-Cela E, Kiaitsi E, Sulyok M, Medina A & Magan N (2018) Fusarium graminearum in stored wheat: Use of CO2 production to quantify dry matter losses and relate this to relative risks of Zearalenone contamination under interacting environmental conditions, Toxins, 10 (2) Article No. 86.
- Garcia-Cela E, Kiaitsi E, Medina A, Sulyok M, Krska R & Magan N (2018) Interacting environmental stress factors affects targeted metabolomic profiles in stored natural wheat and that inoculated with F. graminearum, Toxins, 10 (2) Article No. 56.
- Gilbert MK, Medina A, Mack BM, Lebar MD, Rodríguez A, Bhatnagar D, Magan N, Obrian G & Payne G (2018) Carbon dioxide mediates the response to temperature and water activity levels in Aspergillus flavus during infection of maize kernels, Toxins, 10 (1) Article No. 5 1-16.
- Medina A, Gonzalez-Jartin JM & Sainz MJ (2017) Impact of global warming on mycotoxins, Current Opinion in Food Science, 18 (December) 76-81.
- Castaño SM, Medina A & Magan N (2017) Impact of storage environment on respiration, dry matter losses and fumonisin B1 contamination of stored paddy and brown rice, World Mycotoxin Journal, 10 (4) 319-326.
- Medina A, Mohale S, Samsudin NI, Rodriguez-Sixtos A, Rodriguez A & Magan N (2017) Biocontrol of mycotoxins: dynamics and mechanisms of action, Current Opinion in Food Science, 17 (October) 41-48.
- Martin S, Medina A & Magan N (2017) Comparison of dry matter losses and aflatoxin B1 contamination of paddy and brown rice stored naturally or after inoculation with Aspergillus flavus at different environmental conditions, Journal of Stored Products Research, 73 47-53.
- Medina A, Akbar A, Baazeem A, Rodriguez A & Magan N (2017) Climate change, food security and mycotoxins: do we know enough?, Fungal Biology Reviews, 31 (3) 143-154.
- Medina A, Gilbert MK, Mack BM, Obrian G, Rodriguez A, Bhatnagar D, Payne G & Magan N (2017) Interactions between water activity and temperature on the Aspergillus flavus transcriptome and aflatoxin B 1 production, International Journal of Food Microbiology, 256 (September) 36-44.
- Polo L, Mañes‐Lázaro R, Olmeda I, Cruz‐Pio LE, Medina Á, Ferrer S & Pardo I (2017) Influence of freezing temperatures prior to freeze‐drying on viability of yeasts and lactic acid bacteria isolated from wine, Journal of Applied Microbiology, 122 (6) 1603-1614.
- Samsudin NI, Rodriguez A, Medina A & Magan N (2017) Efficacy of fungal and bacterial antagonists for controlling growth, FUM1 gene expression and fumonisin B 1 production by Fusarium verticillioides on maize cobs of different ripening stages, International Journal of Food Microbiology, 246 (April) 72-79.
- Stevenson A, Hamill PG, Medina A, Kminek G, Rummel JD, Dijksterhuis J, Timson DJ, Magan N, Leong SL & Hallsworth JE (2017) Glycerol enhances fungal germination at the water-activity limit for life, Environmental Microbiology, 19 (3) 947-967.
- Magan N & Medina A Mycotoxins, food security and climate change: do we know enough?, Microbiology Today, 43 (1) 10-13.
- Borisade O, Medina A & Magan N (2016) Interacting temperature and water activity modulate production of destruxin a by metarhizium anisopliae on galleria larvae-modified agar based media invitro, West African Journal of Applied Ecology, 24 (1) 31-42.
- Samsudin NIP, Medina A & Magan N (2016) Relationship between environmental conditions, carbon utilisation patterns and Niche Overlap Indices of the mycotoxigenic species Fusarium verticillioides and the biocontrol agent Clonostachys rosea, Fungal Ecology, 24, Pt A (December) 44-52.
- Magan N & Medina A (2016) Integrating gene expression, ecology and mycotoxin production by Fusarium and Aspergillus species in relation to interacting environmental factors, World Mycotoxin Journal, 9 (5) 673-684.
- Akbar A, Medina A & Magan N (2016) Impact of interacting climate change factors on growth and ochratoxin a production by Aspergillus section Circumdati and Nigri species on coffee, World Mycotoxin Journal, 9 (5) 863-874.
- Rodríguez A, Medina Á, Córdoba J & Magan N (2016) Development of a HOG-based real-time PCR method to detect stress response changes in mycotoxigenic moulds, Food Microbiology, 57 109-115.
- Akbar A, Medina A & Magan N (2016) Efficacy of different caffeine concentrations on growth and ochratoxin A production by Aspergillus species, Letters in Applied Microbiology, 63 (1) 25-29.
- Rodríguez A, Magan N & Medina A (2016) Evaluation of the risk of fungal spoilage when substituting sucrose with commercial purified Stevia glycosides in sweetened bakery products, International Journal of Food Microbiology, 231 42-47.
- Somjaipeng S, Medina A & Magan N (2016) Environmental stress and elicitors enhance taxol production by endophytic strains of Paraconiothyrium variabile and Epicoccum nigrum, Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 90 (August) 69-75.
- Caceres I, El Khoury R, Medina Á, Lippi Y, Naylies C, Atoui A, El Khoury A, Oswald I, Bailly J & Puel O (2016) Deciphering the anti-aflatoxinogenic properties of eugenol using a large-scale q-PCR approach, Toxins, 8 (5) Article No. 123.
- Rodríguez A, Capela D, Medina Á, Córdoba JJ & Magan N (2015) Relationship between ecophysiological factors, growth and ochratoxin A contamination of dry-cured sausage based matrices, International Journal of Food Microbiology, 194 71-77.
- Nkwonta CG, Medina A, del Carmen Alamar M & Terry LA (2015) Impact of postharvest processing on the fungal population contaminating African walnut shells (Tetracarpidium conophorum Mull. Arg) at different maturity stages and potential mycotoxigenic implications, International Journal of Food Microbiology, 194 15-20.
- Medina A, Rodriguez A, Sultan Y & Magan N (2015) Climate change factors and Aspergillus flavus: effects on gene expression, growth and aflatoxin production, World Mycotoxin Journal, 8 (2) 171-179.
- Somjaipeng S, Medina A, Kwaśna H, Ordaz Ortiz J & Magan N (2015) Isolation, identification, and ecology of growth and taxol production by an endophytic strain of Paraconiothyrium variabile from English yew trees (Taxus baccata), Fungal Biology, 119 (11) 1022-1031.
- Medina Á, Rodríguez A & Magan N (2015) Climate change and mycotoxigenic fungi: Impacts on mycotoxin production, Current Opinion in Food Science, 5 99-104.
- Medina A, Schmidt-Heydt M, Rodríguez A, Parra R, Geisen R & Magan N (2014) Impacts of environmental stress on growth, secondary metabolite biosynthetic gene clusters and metabolite production of xerotolerant/xerophilic fungi, Current Genetics, 61 (3).
- Sultan Y, Magan N, Medina A, (2014) Comparison of five different C-18 HPLC analytical columns for the analysis of ochratoxin A in different matrices, Journal of Chromatography B, 971 (15 Nov 2014) 89-93.
- Kokkonen M, Magan N & Medina A (2014) Comparative effects of fungicides and environmental factors on growth and T-2+HT-2 toxin production by Fusarium sporotrichioides and Fusarium langsethiae strains on an oat-based matrix, World Mycotoxin Journal, 7 (2) 177-186.
- Rodríguez A, Medina A, Córdoba JJ & Magan N (2014) The influence of salt (NaCl) on ochratoxin A biosynthetic genes, growth and ochratoxin A production by three strains of Penicillium nordicum on a dry-cured ham-based medium, International Journal of Food Microbiology, 178 113-119.
- Medina A, Rodriguez A & Magan N (2014) Effect of climate change on Aspergillus flavus and aflatoxin B-1 production, Frontiers in Microbiology, 5 Article No. 348.
- Patriarca A, Medina A, Pinto VF & Magan N (2014) Temperature and water stress impacts on growth and production of altertoxin-II by strains of alternaria tenuissima from Argentinean wheat, World Mycotoxin Journal, 7 (3) 329-334.
- Mohale S, Medina A & Magan N (2013) Effect of environmental factors on in vitro and in situ interactions between atoxigenic and toxigenic A-flavus strains and control of aflatoxin contamination of maize, Biocontrol Science and Technology, 23 (7) 776-793.
- Mohale S, Magan N & Medina A (2013) Comparison of growth, nutritional utilisation patterns, and niche overlap indices of toxigenic and atoxigenic Aspergillus flavus strains, Fungal Biology, 117 (9) 650-659.
- Medina A, Schmidt-Heydt M, Cárdenas-Chávez DL, Parra R, Geisen R & Magan N (2013) Integrating toxin gene expression, growth and fumonisin B-1 and B-2 production by a strain of Fusarium verticillioides under different environmental factors, Interface, 10 (85).
- Mohale S, Medina A, Rodríguez A, Sulyok M & Magan N (2013) Mycotoxigenic fungi and mycotoxins associated with stored maize from different regions of Lesotho, Mycotoxin Research, 29 (4) 209-219.
- Magan N, Geisen R, Schmidt-Heydt M, Medina A, Parra R & Abdel-Hadi A (2012) A systems approach to integrating molecular, ecophysiological data and phenotypic data for a better understanding of mycotoxin contamination, Journal of Plant Pathology, 94 (SUPPL. 4).
- Medina A, Lambert RJ & Magan N (2012) Rapid throughput analysis of filamentous fungal growth using turbidimetric measurements with the Bioscreen C: a tool for screening antifungal compounds., Fungal Biology, 116 (1) 161-169.
- Frazer S, Pestka J, Kim J, Medina A, Aldred D & Magan N (2012) Impact of environmental factors on growth and satratoxin G production by strains of Stachybotrys chartarum, World Mycotoxin Journal, 5 (1) 37-43.
- Leite GM, Magan N & Medina A (2012) Comparison of different bead-beating RNA extraction strategies: An optimized method for filamentous fungi, Journal of Microbiological Methods, 88 (3) 413-418.
- Kokkonen M, Medina A & Magan N (2012) Comparative study of water and temperature relations of growth and T-2/HT-2 toxin production by strains of Fusarium sporotrichioides and Fusarium langsethiae, World Mycotoxin Journal, 5 (4) 365-372.
- Medina A & Magan N (2012) Comparison of three different C-18 HPLC columns with different particle sizes for the optimization of aflatoxins analysis, Journal of Chromatography B, 889-890 138-143.
- Magan N, Medina, A, Aldred & D (2011) Possible impacts of climate change on mycotoxins in food crops pre- and post-harvest., Plant Pathology, 60 (1) 150-163.
- Magan N, Medina A & Aldred D (2011) Possible climate-change effects on mycotoxin contamination of food crops pre- and postharvest, Plant Pathology, 60 (1) 150-163.
- Medina A & Magan N (2011) Temperature and water activity effects on production of T-2 and HT-2 by Fusarium langsethiae strains from north European countries, Food Microbiology, 28 (3) 392-398.
- Mateo EM, Medina A, Mateo F, Valle-Algarra FM, Pardo I & Jimenez M (2010) Ochratoxin A removal in synthetic media by living and heat-inactivated cells of Oenococcus oeni isolated from wines, Food Control, 21 (1) 23-28.
- Medina A, Valle-Algarra FM, Jimenez M & Magan N (2010) Different sample treatment approaches for the analysis of T-2 and HT-2 toxins from oats-based media, Journal of Chromatography B, 878 (23) 2145-2149.
- Medina A & Magan N (2010) Comparisons of water activity and temperature impacts on growth of Fusarium langsethiae strains from northern Europe on oat-based media, International Journal of Food Microbiology, 142 (3) 365-369.
- Medina A, Mateo EM, Roig RJ, Blanquer A & Jimenez M (2010) Ochratoxin A levels in the plasma of healthy blood donors from Valencia and estimation of exposure degree: comparison with previous national Spanish data, Food Additives and Contaminants: Part A: Chemistry, Analysis, Control, Exposure and Risk Assessment, 27 (9) 1273-1284.
- Mateo EM, Medina A, Mateo R & Jimenez M (2010) Effect of ethanol on the ability of Oenococcus oeni to remove ochratoxin A in synthetic wine-like media, Food Control, 21 (6) 935-941.
- Mateo F, Gadea R, Medina A, Mateo R & Jiménez M (2009) Predictive assessment of ochratoxin A accumulation in grape juice based-medium by Aspergillus carbonarius using neural networks, Journal of Applied Microbiology, 107 (3) 915-927.
- Valle-Algarra FM, Mateo EM, Medina A, Mateo F, Gimeno-Adelantado JV & Jimenez M (2009) Changes in ochratoxin A and type B trichothecenes contained in wheat flour during dough fermentation and bread-baking., Food Additives and Contaminants: Part A: Chemistry, Analysis, Control, Exposure and Risk Assessment, 26 (6) 896-906.
- Medina A, Mateo EM, Valle-Algarra FM, Mateo F, Mateo R & Jiménez M (2008) Influence of nitrogen and carbon sources on the production of ochratoxin A by ochratoxigenic strains of Aspergillus spp. isolated from grapes., International Journal of Food Microbiology, 122 (1-2) 93-99.
- Medina A, Jimenez M, Mateo R & Magan N (2007) Natamycin efficacy for control of growth and ochratoxin production by Aspergillus carbonarius isolates under different environmental regimes, Journal of Applied Microbiology, 103 2234-2239.
- Mateo R, Medina A, Mateo EM, Mateo F & Jiménez M (2007) An overview of ochratoxin A in beer and wine., International Journal of Food Microbiology, 119 (1-2) 79-83.
- Patiño B, Medina A, Doménech M, González-Jaén MT, Jiménez M & Vázquez C (2007) Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) identification of Penicillium brevicompactum, a grape contaminant and mycophenolic acid producer., Food Additives and Contaminants, 24 (2) 165-172.
- Medina A, Mateo R, Valle-Algarra FM, Mateo EM & Jiménez M (2007) Effect of carbendazim and physicochemical factors on the growth and ochratoxin A production of Aspergillus carbonarius isolated from grapes., International Journal of Food Microbiology, 119 (3) 230-235.
- Medina A, Jiménez M, Mateo R & Magan N (2007) Efficacy of natamycin for control of growth and ochratoxin A production by Aspergillus carbonarius strains under different environmental conditions., Journal of Applied Microbiology, 103 (6) 2234-2239.
- Hinojo MJ, Medina A, Valle-Algarra FM, Gimeno-Adelantado JV, Jiménez M & Mateo R (2006) Fumonisin production in rice cultures of Fusarium verticillioides under different incubation conditions using an optimized analytical method., Food Microbiology, 23 (2) 119-127.
- Medina A, Valle-Algarra FM, Mateo R, Gimeno-Adelantado JV, Mateo F & Jiménez M (2006) Survey of the mycobiota of Spanish malting barley and evaluation of the mycotoxin producing potential of species of Alternaria, Aspergillus and Fusarium., International Journal of Food Microbiology, 108 (2) 196-203.
- Medina A, Valle-Algarra FM, Gimeno-Adelantado JV, Mateo R, Mateo F & Jiménez M (2006) New method for determination of ochratoxin A in beer using zinc acetate and solid-phase extraction silica cartridges., Journal of Chromatography A, 1121 (2) 178-183.
- Llorens A, Hinojo MJ, Mateo R, Medina A, Valle-Algarra FM, González-Jaén MT & Jiménez M (2006) Variability and characterization of mycotoxin-producing Fusarium spp isolates by PCR-RFLP analysis of the IGS-rDNA region., Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, 89 (3-4) 465-478.
- Medina A, Magan N, Mateo F, Valle-Algarra FM, Mateo-Castro R & Jiménez M Rapid characterization of potential ochratoxin-producing fungi isolated from grapes and study of natamycin efficacy for its control, Bulletin de l'OIV, 79 (909-910) 649-661.
- Medina A, Jiménez M, Gimeno-Adelantado JV, Valle-Algarra FM & Mateo R (2005) Determination of ochratoxin A in beer marketed in Spain by liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection using lead hydroxyacetate as a clean-up agent., Journal of Chromatography A, 1083 (1-2) 7-13.
- Medina A, Mateo R, López-Ocaña L, Valle-Algarra FM & Jiménez M (2005) Study of Spanish grape mycobiota and ochratoxin A production by Isolates of Aspergillus tubingensis and other members of Aspergillus section Nigri., Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 71 (8) 4696-4702.
- González G, Hinojo MJ, Mateo R, Medina A & Jiménez M (2005) Occurrence of mycotoxin producing fungi in bee pollen., International Journal of Food Microbiology, 105 (1) 1-9.
- Medina A, González G, Sáez JM, Mateo R & Jiménez M (2004) Bee pollen, a substrate that stimulates ochratoxin A production by Aspergillus ochraceus Wilh., Systematic and Applied Microbiology, 27 (2) 261-267.
- Sáez JM, Medina A, Gimeno-Adelantado JV, Mateo R & Jiménez M (2004) Comparison of different sample treatments for the analysis of ochratoxin A in must, wine and beer by liquid chromatography., Journal of Chromatography A, 1029 (1-2) 125-133.
- Medina A, Rodriguez A & Magan N (2015) Changes in environmental factors driven by climate change: Effects on the ecophysiology of mycotoxigenic fungi. In: Climate Change and Mycotoxins. Botana, LM, Sainz MJ (ed.), Walter de Gruyter GmbH, p. 71-90.
- Mateo F, Medina A, Mateo EM, Valle-Algarra FM & Jiménez M (2011) Capacity of neural network models to predict deoxynivalenol build-up in barley grain contaminated in vitro with Fusarium culmorum. In: Microorganisms in Industry and Environment, Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Company, p. 678-682.
- Mateo F, Medina A, Mateo EM, Valle-Algarra F & Jiménez M (2010) Capacity of neural network models to predict deoxynivalenol build-up in barley grain contaminated in vitro with Fusarium culmorum. In: Microorganisms in Industry and Environment: From Scientific and Industrial Research to Consumer Products, Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Company, p. 678-682.
- Mateo EM, Medina A, Valle-Algarra F, Mateo F, Esparza MG & Jiménez M (2010) Efficacy of three antifungal chemicals on the growth in vitro of Aspergillus ochraceus and Aspergillus carbonarius strains isolated from Spanish barley. In: Microorganisms in Industry and Environment: From Scientific and Industrial Research to Consumer Products, Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Company, p. 381-385.
- Medina A, Mateo F, Mateo EM, Roig RJ, Blanquer A, Mirabet V & Jiménez M (2010) Occurrence of ochratoxin A in plasma from Valencian citizens and resemblance with previous Spanish data. In: Microorganisms in Industry and Environment, Singapore: World Scientific, p. 413-417.
- Mateo EM, Medina A, Mateo F, Valle Algarra FM, Mateo R & Jiménez M (2009) Lactic acid bacteria: a potential tool to reduce ochratoxin A in wine. In: Current Research Topics in Applied Microbiology and Microbial Biotechnology, Hackensack, NJ: World Scientific, p. 656-659.
- Medina Vaya A, Magan N & Medina Vaya A An overview of oat contamination with mycotoxins: strategies for their control.. In: Oats: Cultivation, Uses and Health Effects., USA: Nova Publishers.