Contact Dr Andrew Martin Rolt
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
Andrew Rolt joined Rolls-Royce in Derby after graduating from Cambridge University in 1975.
Over the next 39 years he worked there on aero engine component design and whole engine preliminary design and finally in the Strategic Research department.
Design studies included developments of the RB211, Tay, Trent, RTM322, BR700 and AE3000 engine families. Research activities included working with Rolls-Royce University Technology Centres and other partners on various EU-funded research projects including NEWAC, LEMCOTEC, ENOVAL and CRESCENDO.
As a Visiting Fellow at Cranfield University, Andrew Rolt completed a PhD study on the EU Horizon 2020 ULTIMATE project in 2019.
Since 2019 Dr Rolt has been a Senior Research Fellow studying advanced engine concepts. He is currently working on the Horizon 2020 ENABLEH2 project, researching the use of hydrogen in future commercial aircraft and their propulsion systems.
Articles In Journals
- Sethi V, Sun X, Nalianda D, Rolt A, Holborn P, Wijesinghe C, Xisto C, Jonsson I, Gronstedt T, Ingram J, Lundbladh A, Isikveren A, Williamson I, Harrison T, Yenokyan A, (2022) Enabling cryogenic hydrogen-based CO2-free air transport: meeting the demands of zero carbon aviation, IEEE Electrification Magazine, 10 (2) 69-81.
- Abedi H, Xisto C, Jonsson I, Gronstedt T & Rolt A (2022) Preliminary analysis of compression system integrated heat management concepts using LH2-based parametric gas turbine model, Aerospace, 9 (4) Article No. 216.
- San Benito Pastor DG, Nalianda D, Sethi V, Midgley R, Rolt A & Block Novelo DA (2021) Preliminary design framework for the power gearbox in a contra-rotating open rotor, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 143 (4) Article No. GTP-20-1061.
- Rompokos P, Rolt A, Nalianda D, Isikveren AT, Senne C, Gronstedt T & Abedi H (2021) Synergistic technology combinations for future commercial aircraft using liquid hydrogen, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 143 (July) Article No. GTP-20-1405.
- Kissoon S, Mastropierro FS, Nalianda DK, Rolt, A & Sethi B (2020) Assessment of the BWB aircraft for military transport, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 92 (5) 769-776.
- Mastropierro FS, Sebastiampillai J, Jacob F & Rolt A (2020) Modelling geared turbofan and open rotor engine performance for year-2050 long-range and short-range aircraft, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 142 (4) Article No. 041016.
- Rompokos P, Kissoon S, Roumeliotis I, Nalianda D, Nikolaidis T & Rolt A (2020) Liquefied natural gas for civil aviation, Energies, 13 (22) Article No. 5925.
- Sebastiampillai J, Rolt AM, Jacob F, Nalianda D & Sethi V (2019) Thermodynamic analysis of nutating disc engine topping cycles for aero-engine applications, Energy, 182 (September) 641-655.
- Xisto C, Petit O, Gronstedt T, Rolt A, Lundbladh A & Paniagua G (2018) The efficiency of a pulsed detonation combustor-axial turbine integration, Aerospace Science and Technology, 82-83 (November) 80-91.
- Rolt A, Sethi V, Jacob F, Sebastiampillai J, Xisto C, Grönstedt T & Raffaelli L (2017) Scale effects on conventional and intercooled turbofan engine performance, The Aeronautical Journal, 121 (1242) 1162-1185.
- Jacob F, Rolt AM, Sebastiampillai JM, Sethi V, Belmonte M & Cobas P (2017) Performance of a supercritical CO2 bottoming cycle for aero applications, Applied Sciences, 7 (3) Article No. 255.
- Kirner R, Raffaelli L, Rolt A, Laskaridis P, Doulgeris G & Singh R (2016) An assessment of distributed propulsion: Part B - Advanced propulsion system architectures for blended wing body aircraft configurations, Aerospace Science and Technology, 50 (March) 212-219.
- Kirner R., Raffaelli L., Rolt A., Laskaridis P., Doulgeris G. & Singh R. (2015) An assessment of distributed propulsion: Advanced propulsion system architectures for conventional aircraft configurations, Aerospace Science and Technology, 46 (October-November) 42-50.
- Camilleri W, Anselmi E, Sethi V, Laskaridis P, Rolt A & Cobas P (2015) Performance characteristics and optimisation of a geared intercooled reversed flow core engine, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 229 (2) 269-279.
- Rompokos P, Rolt A, Nalianda D, Sibilli T & Benson C (2021) Cryogenic fuel storage modelling and optimisation for aircraft applications. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2021: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition, Virtual event, 7-11 June 2021.
- Rompokos P, Rolt A, Nalianda D, Isikveren AT, Senné C, Grönstedt T & Abedi H (2021) Synergistic technology combinations for future commercial aircraft using liquid hydrogen. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2020: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2020), London: Virtual Event, 21-25 September 2020.
- Benson CM, Ingram JM, Battersby PN, Mba D, Sethi V & Rolt AM (2019) An analysis of civil aviation industry safety needs for the introduction of liquid hydrogen propulsion technology. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2019: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2019), Phoenix, 17-21 June 2019.
- Sebastiampillai J, Jacob F, Mastropierro FS & Rolt A (2019) Modelling geared turbofan and open rotor engine performance for year-2050 long-range and short-range aircraft. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2019: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2019), Phoenix, 17-21 June 2019.
- Sebastiampillai J, Rolt A, Nalianda D, Mastropierro F & Sethi V (2019) Technical and economic viability of an EIS 2050 geared open rotor. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2019: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2019), Phoenix, 17-21 June 2019.
- Anselmi E, Camilleri W, Laskaridis P, Rolt A & Sethi V (2015) Assessment of the low pressure turbine exhaust design challenges in a geared intercooled reversed flow core engine. In: The 22nd International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines (ISABE) 2015, Phoenix, AZ, 25-30 October 2015.
- Block A, Garcia-Duffy C, Weeks S, Scavuzzi J & Romig T et al (2021) Integration of hydrogen aircraft into the air transport system: an airport operations and infrastructure review. Quebec: Airports Council International.