Contact Dr Andrea Momblanch
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Natural Capital
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Momblanch is a water and environmental engineer specialised on catchment-scale water resources systems analysis. Her research deploys expertise in water management modelling, including water quantity, water quality and biotic components, to understand the trade-off between human and environmental water uses, and to discover new ways to reconcile and balance competing demands. She has developed innovative integrated methods to inform global change impacts assessment and adaptation in high mountain regions through a range of NERC funded projects SusHi-Wat (NE/N016394/1) and PeruGROWS (NE/S013296/1), promoted the application of systems approaches to water management leading several QR GCRF projects, and expanded the capabilities of existing models to better capture physical, eco-hydrological and human-nature interactions (CSD2009-00065, NE/W004550/1).
Her research interests are related the integration of natural capital and nature-based solutions into water resource and environmental modelling to support sustainable water and catchment management.
Articles In Journals
- Momblanch A, Kelkar N, Braulik G, Krishnaswamy J & Holman IP (2021) Exploring trade-offs between SDGs for Indus River Dolphin conservation and human water security in the regulated Beas River, India, Sustainability Science, Available online 11 October 2021. Dataset/s: 10.5285/f899fbc5-7034-45c0-a15c-9ee1d92a693f
- Benisiewicz B, Momblanch A, Leggatt A & Holman IP (2021) Erosion and sediment transport modelling to inform payment for ecosystem services schemes, Environmental Modeling and Assessment, 26 (February) 89-102.
- Shirsat TS, Kulkarni AV, Momblanch A, Randhawa SS & Holman IP (2021) Towards climate-adaptive development of small hydropower projects in Himalaya: a multi-model assessment in Upper Beas Basin, Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies, 34 (April) Article No. 100797.
- Ncube S, Beevers L & Momblanch A (2021) Towards intangible freshwater cultural ecosystem services: informing sustainable water resources management, Water (Switzerland), 13 (4) Article No. 535. Dataset/s: 10.17861/bd0929c3-9009-470c-a9bb-86e71fa1850c .
- Musie M, Momblanch A & Sen S (2021) Exploring future global change induced water imbalances in the Central Rift Valley Basin, Ethiopia, Climatic Change, 164 (February) Article No. 47.
- Peralta-Maraver I, Stubbington R, Arnon S, Kratina P, Krause S, de Mello Cionek V, Leite NK, da Silva AL, Thomaz SM, Posselt M, Milner VS, Momblanch A, Moretti MS, Nóbrega RLB, Perkins DM, Petrucio MM, Reche I, Saito V, Sarmento H, Strange E, Taniwaki RH, White J, Alves GHZ & Robertson AL (2021) The riverine bioreactor: an integrative perspective on biological decomposition of organic matter across riverine habitats, Science of the Total Environment, Available online 1 February 2021, Article No. 145494.
- Dau QV, Momblanch A & Adeloye AJ (2021) Adaptation by Himalayan water resource system under a sustainable socioeconomic pathway in a high-emission context, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 26 (3) Article No. 04021003.
- Momblanch A, Beevers L, Srinivasalu P, Kulkarni A & Holman IP (2020) Enhancing production and flow of freshwater ecosystem services in a managed Himalayan river system under uncertain future climate, Climatic Change, 162 (2) 343-361. Dataset/s: 10.5285/715db0b2-1d63-4842-ab80-f0f33b39e5e0
- Snapir B, Momblanch A, Jain SK, Waine TW & Holman IP (2019) A method for monthly mapping of wet and dry snow using Sentinel-1 and MODIS: Application to a Himalayan river basin, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 74 (February) 222-230.
- Momblanch A, Papadimitriou L, Jain SK, Kulkarni A, Ojha CSP, Adeloye AJ & Holman IP (2019) Untangling the water-food-energy-environment nexus for global change adaptation in a complex Himalayan water resource system, Science of the Total Environment, 655 (March) 35-47. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7041902.v1
- Bannister D, Orr A, Jain SK, Holman IP, Momblanch A, Phillips T, Adeloye AJ, Snapir B, Waine TW, Hosking JS & Allen-Sader C (2019) Bias correction of high-resolution regional climate model precipitation output gives the best estimates of precipitation in Himalayan catchments, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, Available online 14 December 2019 (24).
- Momblanch A, Holman IP & Jain SK (2019) Current practice and recommendations for modelling global change impacts on water resource in the Himalayas, Water (Switzerland), 11 (6) Article No. 1303.
- Momblanch A, Paredes-Arquiola J & Andreu J (2017) Improved modelling of the freshwater provisioning ecosystem service in water scarce river basins, Environmental Modelling & Software, 94 (August) 87-99.
- Momblanch A, Connor J, Crossman N, Paredes-Arquiola J & Andreu J (2016) Using ecosystem services to represent the environment in hydro-economic models, Journal of Hydrology, 538 293-303.
- Terrado M, Momblanch A, Bardina M, Boithias L, Munné A, Sabater S, Solera A, Acuña V & Siqueira T (2016) Integrating ecosystem services in river basin management plans, Journal of Applied Ecology, 53 (3) 865-875.
- Momblanch A, Paredes-Arquiola J, Munné A, Manzano A, Arnau J & Andreu J (2015) Managing water quality under drought conditions in the Llobregat River Basin, Science of the Total Environment, 503-504 300-318.
- Momblanch A, Andreu J, Paredes-Arquiola J, Solera A & Pedro-Monzonís M (2014) Adapting water accounting for integrated water resource management. The Júcar Water Resource System (Spain), Journal of Hydrology, 519 (November) 3369-3385.
- Paredes-Arquiola J, Solera A, Martinez-Capel F, Momblanch A & Andreu J (2014) Integrating water management, habitat modelling and water quality at the basin scale and environmental flow assessment: Case study of the Tormes River, Spain, Hydrological Sciences Journal, 59 (3-4) 878-889.
- Celmi G, Momblanch A, Hess T, Fyffe CL, Potter E, Orr A, Drenkhan F, Walker-Crawford N, Loarte E, Bustamante MG & Pellicciotti F (2021) No-regret adaptation to climate change through management of glacial lakes in the Santa River Basin in Peru. In: EGU General Assembly, Virtual Event, 19-30 April 2021.
- Shirsat T, Kulkarni A, Momblanch A, Singh Randhawa S & Holman I (2021) Potential impacts of warming climate on future water resources and hydropower production in a glacierized catchment in Western Himalaya. In: EGU General Assembly, Virtual Event, 19-30 April 2021.
- Momblanch A, Pedro-Monzonis M, Solera A & Andreu J (2018) Water accounting for integrated water resources management: experiences and recommendations. In: Advances in Chemical Pollution, Environmental Management and Protection, Elsevier, p. 63-96.
- Andreu J, Momblanch A, Paredes J, Pérez M & Solera A (2012) Potential role of standardized water accounting in Spanish basins. In: Water Accounting: International Approaches to Policy and Decision-making, Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., p. 123-138.