Contact Dr Ana Soares
Areas of expertise
- Energy and the Environment
- Monitoring & Environmental Informatics
- Waste Management & Resource Efficiency
- Water Science & Engineering
Dr Soares holds a MEng in Biotechnology Engineering from Algarve University (Portugal) and a PhD in Environmental Engineering from Lund University (Sweden) (2001-2005) with a project entitled “Biodegradation of the Recalcitrant Endocrine Disruptor Nonylphenol”. Her PhD formed part of national research program COLDREM (Soil Remediation in Cold Climate) and was supported by MISTRA (Swedish Foundation for Strategic Environmental Research) and the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology.
Dr. Ana Soares is a Senior Lecturer in Biological Engineering at Cranfield Water Science Institute, Cranfield University (Bedfordshire, UK) that has developed her academic career with the aim to become an expert on the behaviour and manipulation of bacterial communities under dynamic conditions, leading to new technologies for optimisation of wastewater treatment or new valuable product recovery. Dr Soares current research interests centre on bioengineering applied to wastewater treatment, focussing on:
1) development of new technologies - Dr Soares research explores the underpinning science required to understand how to develop and manage bioreactors employing new biological organisms, cultures or pathways. The current focus relates to the utilisation of bacteria that directly precipitate phosphorus as part of their biochemical pathways and hence offer an exciting opportunity for enhanced phosphorus removal and recovery as a product (e.g. bio-struvite and calcium phosphate).
2) adaptation of existing processes to enhance biological activity. Improvement of wastewater treatment processes can also be completed by gaining a deeper understanding of existing processes to ensure process optimisation. Dr Soares currently supervises projects on the methodologies to enrich microbial communities with capability to biodegrade hazardous pollutants by modifying the normal design and operation of activated sludge process in order to improve treatment of coke making wastewaters as well as investigating the impact of carrier media design on the diversity and function of microbial communities to improve the performance of mobile biological attached growth systems.
3) using established bacterial communities in new applications. This is a high impact research area that aims at investigating the application of well-known microbial communities - such as anaerobic flocculent and granular sludge – for integration in new bioreactor designs/configurations.
4) Sensor development. Dr Soares has been working on the development of sensors as a means to optimise the biological processes in wastewater treatment, specifically a biosensor for the determination of volatile fatty acids in digesters and fermented sludge and a sensor that measures phosphate in wastewater streams in the laboratory and real-time, with planned commercialisation stage in late 2016.
- Yorkshire Water
- Anglian Water
- Severn Trent
- Environmental Agency
- Warden Biomedia
- Huntsman Chemicals
- Tata Steel
- Technology Strategy Board
Articles In Journals
- Dias J, Bellingham M, Hassan J, Barrett M, Stephenson T & Soares A (2018) Influence of carrier media physical properties on start-up of moving attached growth systems, Bioresource Technology, 266 (October) 463-471.
- Raper E, Fisher R, Anderson DR, Stephenson T & Soares A (2018) Alkalinity and external carbon requirements for denitrification-nitrification of coke wastewater, Environmental Technology, 39 (17) 2266-2277.
- Wang KM, Jefferson B, Soares A & McAdam EJ (2018) Sustaining membrane permeability during unsteady-state operation of anaerobic membrane bioreactors for municipal wastewater treatment following peak-flow, Journal of Membrane Science, 564 (October) 289-297.
- Dias J, Bellingham M, Hassan J, Barrett M, Stephenson T & Soares A (2018) Impact of carrier media on oxygen transfer and wastewater hydrodynamics on a moving attached growth system, Chemical Engineering Journal, Early online.
- Simoes F, Vale P, Stephenson T & Soares A (2018) The role of pH on the biological struvite production in digested sludge dewatering liquors, Scientific Reports, 8 Article No. 7225.
- Wang KM, Cingolani D, Eusebi AL, Soares A, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2018) Identification of gas sparging regimes for granular anaerobic membrane bioreactor to enable energy neutral municipal wastewater treatment, Journal of Membrane Science, Early online.
- Holloway TG & Soares A (2018) Influence of internal fluid velocities and media fill ratio on submerged aerated filter hydrodynamics and process performance for municipal wastewater treatment, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 114 179-191.
- Raper E, Stephenson T, Simões F, Fisher R, Anderson DR & Soares A (2018) Enhancing the removal of pollutants from coke wastewater by bioaugmentation: a scoping study, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, Early online.
- Goodwin L, Carra I, Campo P & Soares A (2017) Treatment options for reclaiming wastewater produced by the pesticide industry, International Journal of Water and Wastewater Treatment, 4 (1).
- Simoes F, Vale P, Stephenson T & Soares A (2017) Understanding the growth of the bio-struvite production Brevibacterium antiquum in sludge liquors, Environmental Technology, Early online.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Soares A, Koch K, Vale P & Cartmell E (2017) Bioconversion of carbon dioxide in anaerobic digesters for on-site carbon capture and biogas enhancement - A review, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (17) 1555-1580.
- Manzano I, Dias JS, Cannon J & Soares A (2017) Optimization of a full-scale site to achieve total nitrogen removal through implementation of a denitrification-submerged anoxic filter, Water and Environment Journal, Early online.
- Alibardi L, Green K, Favaro L, Vale P, Soares A, Cartmell E & Fernández YB (2017) Performance and stability of sewage sludge digestion under CO 2 enrichment: a pilot study, Bioresource Technology, 245 (Part A) 581-589.
- Raper E, Soares A, Chen J, Sutcliffe A, Aries E, Anderson D & Stephenson T (2017) Enhancing the removal of hazardous pollutants from coke making wastewater by dosing activated carbon to a pilot‐scale activated sludge process, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 92 (9) 2325-2333.
- Longo S, d’Antoni BM, Bongards M, Chaparro A, Cronrath A, Fatone F, Lema JM, Mauricio-Iglesias M, Soares A & Hospido A (2016) Monitoring and diagnosis of energy consumption in wastewater treatment plants. A state of the art and proposals for improvement, Applied Energy, 179 (October) 1251-1268.
- Cookney J, Mcleod A, Mathioudakis V, Ncube P, Soares A, Jefferson B & McAdam EJ (2016) Dissolved methane recovery from anaerobic effluents using hollow fibre membrane contactors, Journal of Membrane Science, 502 141-150.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Cartmell E, Soares A, McAdam E, Vale P, Darche-Dugar C & Jefferson B (2015) Gas to liquid mass transfer in rheologically complex fluids, Chemical Engineering Journal, 273 656-667.
- Belloir C, Stanford C & Soares A (2015) Energy benchmarking in wastewater treatment plants: the importance of site operation and layout, Environmental Technology, 36 (2) 260-269.
- Raper E, Davies S, Perkins B, Lamb H, Hermanson M, Soares A & Stephenson T (2015) Ecological conditions of ponds situated on blast furnace slag deposits located in South Gare Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), Teesside, UK, Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 37 (3) 545-556.
- Janson A, Santos A, Hussain A, Judd S, Soares A & Adham S (2015) Biotreatment of hydrate-inhibitor-containing produced waters at low pH, SPE Journal -Richardson-, 20 (6) 1254-1260.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Green K, Schuler K, Soares A, Vale P, Alibardi L & Cartmell E (2015) Biological carbon dioxide utilisation in food waste anaerobic digesters, Water Research, 87 467-475.
- Bajón Fernández Y, Soares A, Villa R, Vale P & Cartmell E (2014) Carbon capture and biogas enhancement by carbon dioxide enrichment of anaerobic digesters treating sewage sludge or food waste, Bioresource Technology, 159 1-7.
- Warwick C, Guerreiro A, Gomez-Caballero A, Wood E, Kitson J, Robinson J & Soares A (2014) Conductance based sensing and analysis of soluble phosphates in wastewater, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 52 173-179.
- Martin Garcia I, Mokosch M, Soares A, Pidou M & Jefferson B (2013) Impact on reactor configuration on the performance of anaerobic MBRs: Treatment of settled sewage in temperate climates, Water Research, 47 (14) 4853-4860.
- Warwick C, Guerreiro A & Soares A (2013) Sensing and analysis of soluble phosphates in environmental samples: a review, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 41 1-11.
- Paterakis N, Chiu TY, Koh YK, Lester JN, McAdam EJ, Scrimshaw MD, Soares A & Cartmell E (2012) The effectiveness of anaerobic digestion in removing estrogens and nonylphenol ethoxylates, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 199-200 88-95.
- Pratt C, Parsons SA, Soares A & Martin BD (2012) Biologically and chemically mediated adsorption and precipitation of phosphorus from wastewater, Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 23 (6) 890-896.
- Bagnall JP, Ito A, McAdam E, Soares A, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2012) Resource dependent biodegradation of estrogens and the role of ammonia oxidising and heterotrophic bacteria, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 239-240 56-63.
- Martin I, Pidou M, Soares A, Judd S & Jefferson B (2011) Modelling the energy demands of aerobic and anaerobic membrane bioreactors for wastewater treatment, Environmental Technology, 32 (9) 921-932.
- McAdam EJ, Bagnall JP, Soares A, Koh YK, Chiu TY, Scrimshaw MD, Lester JN & Cartmell E (2010) Fate of Alkylphenolic Compounds during Activated Sludge Treatment: Impact of Loading and Organic Composition., Environmental Science and Technology, 45 (1) 248-254.
- Soares A, Kampas P, Maillard S, Wood E, Brigg J, Tillotson M, Parsons SA & Cartmell E (2010) Comparison between disintegrated and fermented sewage sludge for production of a carbon source suitable for biological nutrient removal, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 175 (1-3) 733-739.
- Kampas P, Parsons SA, Pearce P, Ledoux S, Vale P, Cartmell E & Soares AL (2009) An internal carbon source for improving biological nutrient removal, Bioresource Technology, 100 (1) 149-154.
- Lester JN, Soares AL, San Martin D, Harper P, Jefferson B, Brigg J, Wood E & Cartmell E (2009) A novel approach to the anaerobic treatment of municipal wastewater in temperate climates through primary sludge fortification, Environmental Technology, 30 (10) 985-994.
- Koh YKK, Chiu TY, Boobis AR, Scrimshaw MD, Bagnall JP, Soares A, Pollard S, Cartmell E & Lester JN (2009) Influence of Operating Parameters on the Biodegradation of Steroid Estrogens and Nonylphenolic Compounds during Biological Wastewater Treatment Processes, Environmental Science and Technology, 43 (17) 6646-6654.
- Guerreiro ARL, Soares A, Piletska EV, Mattiasson B & Piletsky SA (2008) Preliminary evaluation of new polymer matrix for solid-phase extraction of nonylphenol from water samples, Analytica Chimica Acta, 612 (1) 99-104.
- Soares AL, Guieysse B & Mattiasson B (2006) Influence of agitation on the removal of nonylphenol by the white-rot fungi Trametes versicolor and Bjerkandera sp. BOL 13, Biotechnology Letters, 28 139-143.
- Zilouei H, Soares AL, Guieysse B & Mattiasson B (2006) Influence of temperature on process efficiency and microbial community response during the biological removal of chlorophenols in a packed-bed bioreactor, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 72 591-599.
- Soares AL, Murto M, Guieysse B & Mattiasson B (2006) Biodegradation of nonylphenol in a continuous bioreactor at low temperatures and effects on the microbial population, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 69 597-606.
- Soares AL, Jonasson K, Trerrazas H, Guieysse B & Mattiasson B (2005) The ability of white-rot fungi to degrade the endocrine disrupting compound nonylphenol, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 66 719-725.
- Guieysse B, Autem Y & Soares AL (2005) Biodegradation of phenol at low temperature using two-phase partitioning bioreactors, Water Science and Technology, 52 97-105.
- Soares AL, Guieysse B & Mattiasson B (2003) Biodegradation of nonylphenol in continuous packed-bed bioreactor, Biotechnology Letters, 25 927-933.
- Soares AL, Guieysse B, Delgado O & Mattiasson B (2003) Aerobic biodegradation of nonylphenol by cold-adapted bacteria, Biotechnology Letters, 25 731-738.