Contact Dr Albert S.J. van Heerden
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Aircraft Design
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Flight Physics
- Power Systems & Turbines
Dr Albert S.J. van Heerden (Stevan) is a research fellow in the Centre for Propulsion Engineering. His research interests include complex engineered systems design, mathematical modelling and simulation. The main applications of his work are in aerospace systems, especially aerothermal systems.
Before commencing his current role, Stevan was named researcher for Cranfield on the Innovate UK Ultra High Bypass Ratio engine thermal management project. For this project, in partnership with Meggitt, he developed novel integrated thermal management systems for future aircraft.
Stevan has a PhD in Aerospace Engineering, obtained at Cranfield, an MS in Aeronautics from the California Institute of Technology, where he was a Fulbright scholar, and a BEng in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Pretoria. For his PhD research, he was awarded the Eric Beverley bursary.
Prior to his postgraduate studies, Stevan gained four years of industry experience, working as an aerodynamicist and control engineer in South Africa.
- Integrated thermal management systems design, modelling, analysis and optimisation
- Computational techniques for aerospace vehicle and systems design
- Integration of novel technologies into complex systems to establish potential benefits/impact at systems level
- Research Fellow in the Gas Turbine Engineering Group and Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre
- Current Project: Powerplant Integration of Novel Engine Systems (PINES), funded by Innovate UK
- Dr van Heerden is an Associate of the Royal Aeronautical Society and an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Meggitt PLC
Articles In Journals
- Judt D, Lawson C & van Heerden ASJ (2021) Rapid design of aircraft fuel quantity indication systems via multi-objective evolutionary algorithms, Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, 28 (2) 141-158.
- Guenov MD, Riaz A, Bile Y, Molina-Cristobal A & van Heerden ASJ (2020) Computational framework for interactive architecting of complex systems, Systems Engineering, 23 (3, May 2020) 350-365.
- Molina-Cristobal A, Guenov M, Riaz A & van Heerden ASJ (2019) Interactive uncertainty allocation and trade-off for early stage design of complex systems, AIAA Journal, 58 (3) 1356-1368.
- Van Heerden A, Guenov M & Molina-Cristobal A (2019) Evolvability and design reuse in civil jet transport aircraft, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 108 (July) 121-155.
- Van Heerden ASJ, Lidbetter R, Liebenberg L, Mathews E & Meyer JP (2011) Development of a motion platform for an educational flight simulator, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education, 39 (4) 306-322.
- Jafari S, Nikolaidis T, van Heerden ASJ, Lawson CP & Bosak D (2021) Physics-based thermal model for power gearboxes in geared turbofan engines. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2020: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2020), London, 21-25 September 2020.
- van Heerden ASJ, Judt DM, Lawson CP, Jafari S & Nikolaidis T (2020) Framework for integrated dynamic thermal simulation of future civil transport aircraft. In: 2020 AIAA SciTech Forum, Orlando, Florida, 6-10 January 2020.
- van Heerden ASJ, Judt D, Lawson CP & Bosak D (2019) Effects of more electric systems on fuel tank thermal behaviour. In: MEA 2019 More Electric Aircraft, Toulouse, 6-7 February 2019.
- Molina-Cristobal A, Chen X, Guenov MD, Riaz A & van Heerden ASJ (2018) Interactive uncertainty allocation and trade-off at early-stage aircraft computational design. In: 2018 AIAA Non-Deterministic Approaches Conference, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Van Heerden A., Guenov M., Molina-Cristóbal A. & Riaz A. (2016) Enhancing the exploration of aircraft changeability during conceptual design. In: 30th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, ICAS 2016, Daejeon, Korea, 25-30 September 2016.