Contact Dr Albert S.J. van Heerden
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Aircraft Design
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Flight Physics
- Power Systems & Turbines
S.J. van Heerden (Stevan) is an aerospace engineer and research fellow in the
Centre for Propulsion Engineering and the Cranfield Rolls-Royce University
Technology Centre. His research interests include the design, mathematical
modelling, and simulation of complex engineered systems. The main applications
of his work are in aircraft design, propulsion, and
aerothermal systems. Since starting at Cranfield, he has been involved in several UK and EU research projects
involving aircraft thermal management, hydrogen propulsion, and hybrid electric
his postgraduate studies, Stevan gained four years of aerospace industry
experience, working as an aerodynamicist and control engineer.
Stevan has a PhD in Aerospace Engineering, obtained at Cranfield University, an MS in Aeronautics from the California Institute of Technology, and a BEng in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Pretoria.
Stevan has published in several high-impact, peer reviewed academic journals and at international aerospace conferences around the globe.
Awards and honours
- Eric Beverley award for PhD research from the Coach Makers and Coach Harness Makers of London (2016)
- Fulbright Scholarship (2012–2014)
- Best poster presentation at the Aerospace Symposium of South Africa (2009)
- Academic honorary colours from the University of Pretoria (2009)
- Computational techniques for aerospace vehicle, propulsion, and systems design
- Integrated thermal management systems design, modelling, analysis, and optimisation
- Characterisation and optimisation of complex engineered systems lifecycle properties
Research and consultancy projects
- Powerplant Integration of Novel Engine Systems (PINES) (Innovate UK)
- FlyZero (Aerospace Technology Institute)
- Several consultancy projects with industry partners
Teaching and student supervision
Stevan regularly supervises several Thermal Power MSc individual research projects. He also supports teaching in three separate modules on aeronautical systems for the Centre for Propulsion Engineering and the Centre for Aeronautics.
- Associate of the Royal Aeronautical Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Committee Member of the Royal Aeronautical Society, Cranfield Branch
Refereeing for high-impact journals
- Aerospace Science and Technology (journal)
- Systems Engineering (journal)
- Research in Engineering Design (journal)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Turbo Expo (conference)
- Meggitt PLC
Articles In Journals
- van Heerden ASJ, Judt DM, Jafari S, Lawson CP, Nikolaidis T & Bosak D (2021) Aircraft thermal management: Practices, technology, system architectures, future challenges, and opportunities, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 128 (January) Article No. 100767.
- Judt D, Lawson C & van Heerden ASJ (2021) Rapid design of aircraft fuel quantity indication systems via multi-objective evolutionary algorithms, Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, 28 (2) 141-158.
- Guenov MD, Riaz A, Bile Y, Molina-Cristobal A & van Heerden ASJ (2020) Computational framework for interactive architecting of complex systems, Systems Engineering, 23 (3, May 2020) 350-365.
- Molina-Cristobal A, Guenov M, Riaz A & van Heerden ASJ (2019) Interactive uncertainty allocation and trade-off for early stage design of complex systems, AIAA Journal, 58 (3) 1356-1368.
- Van Heerden A, Guenov M & Molina-Cristobal A (2019) Evolvability and design reuse in civil jet transport aircraft, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 108 (July) 121-155.
- Van Heerden ASJ, Lidbetter R, Liebenberg L, Mathews E & Meyer JP (2011) Development of a motion platform for an educational flight simulator, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education, 39 (4) 306-322.
- Jafari S, Nikolaidis T, van Heerden ASJ, Lawson CP & Bosak D (2021) Physics-based thermal model for power gearboxes in geared turbofan engines. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2020: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2020), London, 21-25 September 2020.
- van Heerden ASJ, Judt DM, Lawson CP, Jafari S & Nikolaidis T (2020) Framework for integrated dynamic thermal simulation of future civil transport aircraft. In: 2020 AIAA SciTech Forum, Orlando, Florida, 6-10 January 2020.
- van Heerden ASJ, Judt D, Lawson CP & Bosak D (2019) Effects of more electric systems on fuel tank thermal behaviour. In: MEA 2019 More Electric Aircraft, Toulouse, 6-7 February 2019.
- Molina-Cristobal A, Chen X, Guenov MD, Riaz A & van Heerden ASJ (2018) Interactive uncertainty allocation and trade-off at early-stage aircraft computational design. In: 2018 AIAA Non-Deterministic Approaches Conference, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Van Heerden A., Guenov M., Molina-Cristóbal A. & Riaz A. (2016) Enhancing the exploration of aircraft changeability during conceptual design. In: 30th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, ICAS 2016, Daejeon, Korea, 25-30 September 2016.