Contact Dr Ahmed Al-Ashaab
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x5622
- Email: email@example.com
- Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=35943893&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile_pic
Areas of expertise
BackgroundPrior to joining Cranfield University, Dr Ahmed Al-Ashaab was Senior Lecturer at Wolverhampton University and Associate Professor at ITESM Campus Monterrey-Mexico. He has been an active researcher in the areas of collaborative product development, concurrent engineering, knowledge-based engineering and lean product development. His research projects have a strong focus on industrial applications. The research carrier started after he obtained his PhD from Loughborough University in 1994. He then worked at ITESM Campus Monterrey in Mexico from 1994 to 2000 where 50% of his time was spent working with Mexican Industry (mainly automotive and home appliances sectors) in applied research. He has been active in introducing and implementing NPI/D methodologies based on concurrent engineering. He joined Wolverhampton University in September 2000 where he was the manufacturing engineering pathway manager. He was involved in several knowledge transfer projects with SME companies in the area of product development and manufacturing cost reduction. Dr Al-Ashaab has taught in Mexico, Colombia, France and UK.
- Leader of the LeanPD Research Group and TSB CONGA project Configuration Optimisation of Next Generation Aircraft
- Course Tutor of the MSc in Knowledge Management for Innovation
- Member of sub-teaching and research committee of the Faculty
- Activate in co-ordinating student recruitment in Middle East
- Teaching: Knowledge Acquisition and Creation, Product Development, Strategic Knowledge Management
- Chair and subject advisor of more than 20 PhD students
- PhD external examiners for Loughborough University, Brunel University, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, and Nottingham Trent University
- Regular reviewer for the following international journals: Computer in Industry, CAD, IMechE-Part C, International Journal of CIM and International Journal of PD and others
- Member on Advisory Board of the LinkedDesign EU project. Member of ISPE Board.
- Lotus Engineering
- Aldridge Piling Equipment.
Articles In Journals
- Al Shehri M, McLaughlin P, Al-Ashaab A & Hamad R (2018) The impact of organizational culture on employee engagement in Saudi banks, Journal of Human Resources Management Research, 2017 Article No. 761672.
- Almutairi AM, Salonitis K & Al-Ashaab A (2018) Assessing the leanness of a supply chain using multi-grade fuzzy logic: a healthcare case study, International Journal of Lean Six Sigma , Early online.
- McLaughlin P, Al Ashaab A & Rashid H (2017) Factors influence employee engagement leveraging by organisational culture (pilot study in Libyan banking sector), Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 22 (1) 88-101.
- Maulana MI, Al-Ashaab A, Flisiak JW, Araci ZC, Lasisz PW, Shehab E, Beg N & Rehman A (2017) The set-based concurrent engineering application: a process of identifying the potential benefits in the surface jet pump case study, Procedia CIRP, 60 350-355.
- Araci ZC, Al-Ashaab A, Lasisz PW, Flisiak JW, Maulana MI, Beg N & Rehman A (2017) Trade-off curves applications to support set-based design of a surface jet pump, Procedia CIRP, 60 356-361.
- Al-Shaigi H & Al-Ashaab A (2017) A Framework to support aerospace knowledge transfer to developing countries via collaborative projects, International Journal of Economics and Management Systems, 2 111-120.
- Algarni N, Mclaughlin P & Al-Ashaab A (2017) 4 Developing a framework to improve leadership performance in healthcare organisations: the case of the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, BMJ Leader, 1 (Suppl 1) A2-A3.
- Araci ZC, Al-Ashaab A & Maksimovic M (2016) Knowledge creation and visualisation by using trade-off curves to enable set-based concurrent engineering, Electronic Journal of Knowledge Management, 14 (1) 75-88.
- Suwanda S, Sobun NS, Al-Ashaab A, Khan MS, Rehman A & Beg N (2016) The development of Knowledge-Shelf to support the generation of a set-based design of Surface Jet Pump, WSEAS Transactions on Fluid Mechanics, 11 Article No. 20 159-165.
- Maulana MIIM, Flisiak JW, Al-Ashaab A, Araci ZC, Lasisz PW, Beg N & Rehman A (2016) The application of set-based concurrent engineering to enhance the design performance of surface jet pump, WSEAS Transactions on Business and Economics, 13 Article No. 60 634-643.
- Al-Ashaab A, Golob M, Urrutia U, Gourdin M, Petritsch C, Summers M & El-Nounu A (2016) Development and application of lean product development performance measurement tool, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 29 (3) 342-354.
- Khan MS, Al-Ashaab A, Shehab E, Kerga E, Martin C & Ewers P (2015) Define value: applying the first lean principle to product development, International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering , 21 (1) 1-30.
- Tamer Vestlund A, Al-Ashaab R, Tyrrel SF, Longhurst PJ, Pollard SJ & Drew GH (2014) Morphological classification of bioaerosols from composting using scanning electron microscopy, Waste Management, 34 (7) 1101-1108.
- Maksimovic M, Al-Ashaab A, Shehab E, Flores M, Ewers P, Haque B, Furian R, von Lacroix F & Sulowski R (2014) Industrial challenges in managing product development knowledge, Knowledge-Based Systems, 71 101-113.
- Al-Ashaab A, Golob M, Attia UM, Khan M, Parsons J, Andino A, Perez A, Guzman P, Onecha A, Kesavamoorthy A, Martinez G, Shehab E, Berkes A, Haque B, Soril M & Sopelana A (2013) The transformation of product development process into lean environment using set-based concurrent engineering: A case study from an aerospace industry, Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications , 21 (4) 268-285.
- Arundacahawat P, Roy R & Al-Ashaab A (2013) An analogy based estimation framework for design rework efforts, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 24 (3) 625-639.
- Khan MS, Al-Ashaab A, Shehab E, Haque B, Ewers P, Sorli M & Sopelana A (2013) Towards lean product and process development, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 26 (12) 1105-1116.
- Mohd Saad N, Al-Ashaab A, Maksimovic M, Zhu L, Shehab E, Ewers P & Kassam A (2013) A3 thinking approach to support knowledge-driven design, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 68 (5-8) 1371-1386.
- Wasim A, Shehab E, Abdalla H, Al-Ashaab A, Sulowski R & Alam R (2013) An innovative cost modelling system to support lean product and process development, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 56 (1-4) 165-181.
- Al-Ashaab A, Molyneaux M, Doultsinou A, Brunner B, Martínez E, Moliner F, Santamaría V, Tanjore D, Ewers P & Knight G (2012) Knowledge based environment to support product design validation, Knowledge-Based Systems, 26 48-60.
- Al-Ashaab A, Flores M, Doultsinou A & Magyar A (2011) A balanced scorecard for measuring the impact of industry-university collaboration, Production Planning and Control, 22 (5-6) 554-570.
- Al-Ashaab A & Atkinson D (2008) A review and critical analysis of global new product introduction and development, International Journal of Product Development, 6 (2) 118-141.
- Rodriguez K & Al-Ashaab A (2007) Knowledge web-based system to support e-manufacturing of injection moulded products, Integrated Manufacturing Systems, 10 (4) 400-418.
- Rodriguez K & Al-Ashaab A (2005) Knowledge web-based system architecture for collaborative product development, Computers in Industry, 56 (1) 125-140.
- Al-Ashaab A, Rodriguez K, Molina A, Cardenas M, Aca J, Saeed M & Abdalla H (2003) Internet-based collaborative design for an injection-moulding system, Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications, 11 (4) 289-299.
- Ahmed H & Al-Ashaab A (1997) Modelling manufacturing process information using EXPRESS, Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications, 5 (1) 27-35.
- Mustafa FF, Al-Ashaab A & Al-Amili HA (2017) A Comparative Study of Product Data Exchange among CAD Systems. In: 2017 First International Conference on Recent Trends of Engineering Science and Sustainability (IJRTESS), Baghdad, 17-18 May 2017.
- Almaiman S, McLaughlin P & Al-Ashaab A (2017) Interventions to develop an improvement culture within nonprofit organisations: the case of Saudi Arabia. In: 15th International Conference on Manufacturing Research ICMR 2017, University of Greenwich, London, 5-7 September 2017.
- Almaiman S, McLaughlin P & Al-Ashab A (2017) Developing a framework to facilitate an improvement culture: the case of Saudi Arabia. In: 7th GIKA Global Innovation and Knowledge Conference, Lisbon, 28-30 June 2017.
- Al-Ashaab A, Petritsch C, Gourdin M, Aliende UU, Andino A, Varro B, Rigatti C, Golob M, Summers M, El-Nounu A & Kayani A (2013) Lean Product Development Performance Measurement Tool. In: Advances in manufacturing technology XXVII : proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, 2013, Cranfield, 19 September 2013.
- Al-Ashaab A, Golob M, Noriega P, Torriani F, Alvarez P, Beltran A, Busachi A, Ex-Ignotis L, Rigatti C & Sharma S (2013) Capturing the Industrial Requirements of Set-Based Design for the CONGA Framework. In: Advances in manufacturing technology XXVII : proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, 2013, Cranfield, 19 September 2013.
- Cabello A, Flores K, Flores M, Khan M & Al-Ashaab A (2012) An analysis of methods to achieve robustness towards a lean product development process. In: The 18th International ICE Conference on Engineering, Technology and Innovation (ICE 2012), Munich, 18-20 June 2012.
- Al-Ashaab A, Shehab E, Alam R, Sopelana A, Sorli M, Flores M, Taisch M, Stokic D & James-Moore M (2010) The conceptual LeanPPD model. In: New World Situation: New Directions in Concurrent Engineering. Advanced Concurrent Engineering, Krakow, 6-10 September 2010.
- Al-Ashaab A, Flores M, Khan M, Maksimovic M, Alam R, Shehab E, Doultsinou A & Sopelana A (2010) The Industrial requirements of KBE for the LeanPPD model. In: International Conference on Advances in Production Management Systems (APMS 2010), Cernobbio, Lake Como, 11 October 2010.
- Herrera-Hernandez MC, Luna C, Prada L, Berdugo C & Al-Ashaab A (2009) Modelling the product development performance of Colombian companies. In: 19th CIRP Design Conference: Competitive Design, Cranfield, 30-31 March 2009.
- Khan M, Al-Ashaab A, Doultsinou N, Shehab E, Ewers P, Robert S & Khan M (2011) Set-based concurrent engineering process within the LeanPPD environment. In: Improving Complex Systems Today, Springer, p. 433-440, ed. Proceedings of the 18th ISPE International Conference on Concurrent Engineering.
- Sanya I, Shehab EM, Lowe D, Al-Ashaab A & Maksimovic M (2011) Towards a semantic knowledge life cycle approach for aerospace design engineering. In: Improving Complex Systems Today, Springer, p. 285-292, ed. Proceedings of the 18th ISPE International Conference on Concurrent Engineering.
- Flores M, Klinke S, Tucci C, Terzi S, Al-Ashaab A & Sopelana A (2010) Identifying lean thinking measurement needs and trends in product development: evidence from the life sciences sector in switzerland. In: New World Situation: New Directions in Concurrent Engineering, Springer, p. 319-327, ed. Proceedings of the 17th ISPE International Conference on Concurrent Engineering.
- Arundachawat P, Roy R & Al-Ashaab A (2010) Estimation design rework efforts in the early phase of design and development. In: New World Situation: New Directions in Concurrent Engineering, Springer, p. 653-661, ed. Proceedings of the 17th ISPE International Conference on Concurrent Engineering.