Areas of expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
Dr Gamil is a Lecturer at the Centre for Propulsion and Thermal Power Engineering, School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing [SATM]. He is the Deputy Course Director of the Thermal Power & Propulsion MSc program and the Gas Turbine Technology for Operations and Maintenance Engineers short course.
Dr Gamil obtained his PhD in Turbomachinery Aerodynamics from Cranfield University in 2017 and then became a Research Fellow at the Centre for Propulsion and Thermal Power Engineering. Then Dr Gamil has promoted to a Lecturer in Applied Fluid Dynamics for Sustainability.
Dr Gamil has more than 14 years of experience in gas turbine performance, turbomachinery design & aerodynamics, and sustainable systems design. During the last five years, he was the technical lead of different UKRI-funded projects and the project manager of commercial projects with lead industrial partners. Dr Gamil has a track record of project management skills gained from working on several engineering projects, plus the Project Management Professional certificate (PMP).
Before joining Cranfield University, Dr Gamil was an R&D engineer and worked on research projects related to the design of gas turbine engines. Prior to that, he worked as a maintenance engineer at a combined cycle power plant.
Dr Gamil is currently developing advanced research capabilities to support the design and numerical modelling of sustainable Power and propulsion systems. Research projects and engineering challenges on multiphase flow modelling, turbomachinery and sustainable systems designs for future aviation and power generation are welcome.
Dr Gamil's research interests include the development of high-fidelity methods for numerical multiphase flow modelling for future aviation systems. He has a key role in ZEST1 Project (ATI & Innovate-UK project led by Airbus) and is the project manager and the technical lead of commercial projects with RWE company. Dr Gamil also has an active role in FutPrint50 EU-funded project and contributes to PINES project (Innovate-UK project led by Rolls-Royce). His current research activities cover the following:
• Design of sustainable power and propulsion systems
• Turbomachinery design and aerodynamics
• Advanced fluid dynamics and multiphase flow modelling
• Gas turbines component's life assessment
• Analysis of Secondary air systems in the large industrial gas turbines
• Development of gas turbines performance tools
Articles In Journals
- Liu Y, Nikolaidis T, Hossein Madani S, Sarkandi M, Gamil A, Firdus Sainal M & Vahid Hosseini S (2022) Multi-fidelity combustor design and experimental test for a micro gas turbine system, Energies, 15 (7) Article No. 2342.
- Alenezi A, Almutairi A, Alhajeri H, Gamil A & AlShammari F (2021) Numerical investigation on turbulence statistics and heat transfer of a circular jet impinging on a roughened flat plate, Journal of Thermal Science and Engineering Applications, 13 (4) Article No. TSEA-20-1428.
- Alhajeri HM, Almutairi A, Alenezia A, Gamil AAA & Al-Hajeri MH (2021) Effect of mist/steam uniformity on heat transfer characteristics in unconfined jet impingement, Applied Thermal Engineering, 186 (March) Article No. 116299.
- Gamil AAA, Nikolaidis T, Lelaj I & Laskaridis P (2020) Assessment of numerical radiation models on the heat transfer of an aero-engine combustion chamber, Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, 22 (December) Article No. 100772.
- Alhajeri HM, Almutairi A, Alenezi AH & Gamil AA (2019) Numerical investigation on heat transfer performance and flow characteristics in a roughened vortex chamber, Applied Thermal Engineering, 153 (May) 58-68.
- Alhajeri HM, Alenezi AH, Almutairi A, Alhajeri MH & Gamil AAA (2019) Effects of mist fractions on heat transfer characteristics in a rotating roughened cooling passage, Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, 14 (September) Article No. 1000506.
- Alenezi AH, Almutairi A, Alhajeri HM, Addali A & Gamil AAA (2018) Flow structure and heat transfer of jet impingement on a rib-roughened flat plate, Energies, 11 (6) Article No. 1550.
- Gamil AAA, Mekhilef S & Said SM (2012) Techno economic analysis of using solar water heaters with evacuated tubes in Khartoum, Sudan, Energy Education Science and Technology Part a Energy Science and Research, 28 (2) 611-622.
- Hosseini S, Gamil A, Soodani A, Nikolaidis T, Madani SH, Chen Y & Chizari M (2023) Design and manufacturing challenges of a microturbine wheel. In: 15th European Turbomachinery Conference: Turbomachinery Fluid Dynamics and Thermodynamics, Budapest, 24-28 April 2023.
- Liu Y, Nikolaidis T, Gamil A, Madani SH & Sarkandi M (2021) Combustor development and performance analysis for recuperated microturbine application. In: AIAA Propulsion and Energy 2021 Forum, Virtual Event, 9-11 August 2021.
- Gamil AAA, Nikolaidis T, Teixeira JA, Madani SH & Izadi A (2020) Assessment of surface roughness effects on micro axial turbines. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2020: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2020), London: Virtual Event, 21-25 September 2020.
- Gamil AAA, Teixeira JT, Alhajeri HM & Elasha F (2017) Demonstration of leakage flow distribution of an axial fan inside the tip clearance gap. In: 55th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Grapevine, Texas, 9-13 January 2017.
- Alenezi AH, Amaral Teixeira J, Addali A, Gamil AAA & Alhajeri HH (2016) Impingement heat transfer enhancement on a rib-roughened flat plate. In: 54th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 2016, San Diego, 4-8 January 2016.
- Alhajeri HM, Amaral Teixeira J, Addali A, Gamil AAA & Alenezi AH (2016) Mist cooling ratios analysis in rectangular passage with 45deg angled rib. In: 54th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 2016, San Diego, 4-8 January 2016.