Areas of expertise
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Engines, Powertrains & Alternative Fuels
Dr Aaron Costall is a Chartered Mechanical Engineer (CEng MIMechE) and holds MEng and PhD degrees from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College London. After completing his PhD, from 2007 Aaron spent five years as a Research Engineer and Senior Research Engineer with Caterpillar Inc., working in the Engine Research division based at Perkins Engines in Peterborough, UK. In 2012, Aaron moved to Mitsubishi Turbocharger and Engine Europe B.V. in the Netherlands, where he was responsible for engine-turbocharger matching process improvement. He returned to Imperial College London as a Research Fellow in 2014, becoming Lecturer in Thermofluids in 2017 and Senior Lecturer in 2020. He then moved to the University of Bath as a Reader in Advanced Automotive Propulsion Systems, before joining the Advanced Vehicle Engineering Centre (AVEC) at Cranfield University in October 2023.
Dr Costall's research background lies in engine air systems and their performance optimization over real-life duty cycles using new design and simulation methods. His research experience covers prediction of compressor surge and transient response in heavy-duty diesel engines, organic Rankine cycle turboexpanders for vehicle waste heat recovery, electric turbocharger design, twin-entry turbine modelling, and fundamental research in unsteady flow in turbocharger turbines.
If you are considering carrying out PhD research in internal combustion engines, hydrogen and alternative fuels, turbocharging, waste heat recovery, or a related area, and have identified a source of funding, feel free to get in contact by email for a discussion.
At Cranfield I am Senior Lecturer in Electric and H2 Automotive Propulsion Systems with research interests in hydrogen and alternatively fuelled IC engines, in particular the challenges for air and exhaust systems, turbomachinery, and related areas of thermofluids. I teach on the Advanced Motorsport Engineering MSc and the Automotive Engineering MSc.
Articles In Journals
- Adamou A, Costall A, Turner JWG, Jones A & Copeland C (2023) Experimental performance and emissions of additively manufactured high-temperature combustion chambers for micro-gas turbines, International Journal of Engine Research, 24 (4) 1273-1289.
- Kapoor P, Costall AW, Sakellaridis N, Lammers R, Buonpane A & Guilain S (2022) Multi-objective optimization of turbocharger turbines for low carbon vehicles using meanline and neural network models, Energy Conversion and Management: X, 15 (August) Article No. 100261.
- Young AG, Costall AW, Coren D & Turner JWG (2021) The effect of crankshaft phasing and port timing asymmetry on opposed-piston engine thermal efficiency, Energies, 14 (20) Article No. 6696.
- Adamou A, Turner J, Costall A, Jones A & Copeland C (2021) Design, simulation, and validation of additively manufactured high-temperature combustion chambers for micro gas turbines, Energy Conversion and Management, 248 (November) Article No. 114805.
- Robertson M, Newton P, Chen T, Costall A & Martinez-Botas R (2020) Experimental and numerical study of supersonic non-ideal flows for organic rankine cycle applications, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 142 (8) Article No. 081007.
- Khairuddin UB & Costall AW (2018) Aerodynamic optimization of the high pressure turbine and interstage duct in a two-stage air system for a heavy-duty diesel engine, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 140 (5) Article No. 052801.
- Shen X, Costall AW, Turner M, Islam R, Ribnishki A, Turner JWG, Vorraro G, Bailey N & Addy S (2022) Large-Eddy simulation of a Wankel rotary engine for range extender applications. In: International Conference on Powertrain Systems for Net-Zero Transport, London, 7-8 December 2021.
- Crocker HJ & Costall AW (2022) An InceptionTime-Inspired Convolutional Neural Network to Detect Cardiac Abnormalities in Reduced-Lead ECG Data. In: Computing in Cardiology, CinC 2021, Brno, 13-15 September 2021.
- Turner J, Turner M, Islam R, Shen X & Costall A (2021) Further Investigations into the Benefits and Challenges of Eliminating Port Overlap in Wankel Rotary Engines. In: SAE 2021 WCX Digital Summit, Online, 13-15 April 2021.
- Hazizi K, Ramezanpour A, Costall A & Asadi M (2019) Numerical analysis of a turbocharger compressor. In: 12th International Conference on Computational Heat, Mass and Momentum Transfer, ICCHMT 2019, Rome, 3-6 September 2019.