Areas of expertise
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Energy and the Environment
- Environmental Impacts
- Environmental Defence
Clive took early retirement from the Royal Navy in 2008 to pursue a second career in academia. He served in the Navy as an Above Water Warfare officer, with extensive experience both at sea and in shore headquarters, including two tours in the Ministry of Defence. Latterly he led a Capability Planning Group (Surface Effects and Self Defence) during the Through Life Capability Management change programme and chaired a NATO working group (Maritime Capabilities Group 1 on Above Water Engagement).
Clive obtained his first degree, a BSc (Hons) in Oceanography via Physics, from Liverpool University in 1978. In 2009, after leaving the Navy, he completed an MSc in Technology (Maritime Operations) with Distinction at Kingston University, and in 2010 he obtained his Postgraduate Certificate in Learning, Teaching and Assessment in Higher Education from Cranfield University.
Clive's teaching role includes:
- Course Leader for the Defence Academy's Capability and Acquisition series Module 1 (Capability)
- Lecturer on
- Defence Acquisition Management MSc
- International Defence and Security MSc
- Sustainability in Defence Acquisition course
Clive's research concerns the sustainability of military capability through examination of the individual components of capability and future threats to them.
Articles In Journals
- Murgatroyd C (2018) Seven years on: taking stock of the Levene Reforms, Defence Procurement International (Winter 2018/19) 14-21.
- Murgatroyd AC (2014) Sustainable for the Future?, Defence Procurement International (Winter 2014) 43-48.
- Murgatroyd C (2014) Portfolio Management - The Missing Piece in Sustainable Defence Acquisition?, Defence Procurement International (Summer 2014) 25-29.
- Murgatroyd A C (2012) Sustainability in defence acquisition - maintaining the momentum, RUSI Journal, 157 (2) 12-16.
- Murgatroyd A C (2009) Defence and the Arctic - go with the floe?, RUSI Journal, 154 (4) 82-86.
- Murgatroyd A C (2008) Defence in a Changed Climate, RUSI Journal, 153 (5) 28-33.