Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Aircraft Design
Atif Riaz holds a BEng degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics from University of Southampton, and a BSc degree in Computer Sciences. He obtained his PhD degree in Aerospace Engineering from Cranfield University. During his PhD, he developed a set-based design methodology for passenger aircraft families. Dr Riaz worked as a Research Fellow at Cranfield University from 2013 to 2019. During this time, his main responsibilities had been contributing to UK and EU research projects, and supervising research (both MSc and PhD level) students. In 2019, he was promoted to Lecturer position. He delivers lectures on Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), System Modelling Language (SysML), and Multidisciplinary Design Optimisation (MDO). He is the module leader for “Methodologies for Integrated Product Development”.
His research interests focus on the development of methods and tools for complex systems design and analysis, including MDO, SBD, and MBSE. He has been a key collaborator and academic advisor to multiple EU and ATI-Innovate UK research projects, including CRESCENDO, CONGA, TOICA, WOTF, DAVINCI, PIPS, APROCONE, and currently COLIBRI, in partnership with Airbus and Rolls-Royce. He is the Co-I (co-investigator) for COLIBRI project. Dr Riaz has been a key player in the development of an in-house software named AirCADia, which is a model-based design and analysis environment for complex systems. AirCADia has been installed on IDLab at Airbus (Toulouse) and is being used by Airbus under non-transferable license.
Dr Riaz teaches Systems Modelling Language (SysML), Systems Architecture Definition and Analysis, and Product Lifecycle Management as part of the module “Methodologies for Integrated Product Development” for MSc Aircraft Engineering. He also teaches Multidisciplinary Design Optimisation (MDO) techniques for “Computational Design Optimisation” module.
Atif Riaz is working on ATI-Innovate UK research project (COLIBRI), where he is developing a cloud-based (collaborative) design environment. He is currently supervising four PhD students.
Articles In Journals
- Guenov MD, Riaz A, Bile Y, Molina-Cristobal A & van Heerden ASJ (2020) Computational framework for interactive architecting of complex systems, Systems Engineering, 23 (3, May 2020) 350-365.
- Chen X, Molina-Cristóbal A, Guenov MD & Riaz A (2019) Efficient method for variance-based sensitivity analysis, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 181 (January) 97-115.
- Molina-Cristobal A, Guenov M, Riaz A & van Heerden ASJ (2019) Interactive uncertainty allocation and trade-off for early stage design of complex systems, AIAA Journal, 58 (3) 1356-1368.
- Riaz A, Guenov MD & Molina-Cristobal A (2016) Set-based approach to passenger aircraft family design, Journal of Aircraft, 54 (1) 310-326.
- Nunez M, Datta V, Molina-Cristobal A, Guenov M & Riaz A (2012) Enabling Exploration in the Conceptual Design and Optimisation of Complex Systems, Journal of Engineering Design, 23 (10-11) 852-875.
- El Fassi S, Guenov MD & Riaz A (2020) An assumption network-based approach to support margin allocation and management. In: International Design Conference – Design 2020, Online, 26-29 October 2020.
- Chen X, Riaz A, Guenov MD & Molina-Cristobal A (2020) A set-based approach for coordination of multi-level collaborative design studies. In: 2020 AIAA SciTech Forum, Orlando, Florida, 6-10 January 2020.
- Jimeno S, Riaz A, Guenov MD & Molina-Cristobal M (2020) Enabling interactive safety and performance trade-offs in early airframe systems design. In: 2020 AIAA SciTech Forum, Orlando, Florida, 6-10 January 2020.
- Jimeno S, Molina-Cristobal A, Riaz A & Guenov M (2019) Incorporating safety in early (airframe) systems design and assessment. In: AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, San Diego, 7-11 January 2019.
- Mura GL, Riaz A, Guenov M, Molina-Cristobal A, Chen X, Sharma S, Nicholls K & Lynas C (2019) Early stage design of high-lift devices with system and manufacturing constraints. In: AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, San Diego, 7-11 January 2019.
- Molina-Cristobal A, Chen X, Guenov MD, Riaz A & van Heerden ASJ (2018) Interactive uncertainty allocation and trade-off at early-stage aircraft computational design. In: 2018 AIAA Non-Deterministic Approaches Conference, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Bile Y, Riaz A, Guenov MD & Molina-Cristobal A (2018) Towards automating the sizing process in conceptual (airframe) systems architecting. In: 2018 AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, AIAA SciTech Forum, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Van Heerden A., Guenov M., Molina-Cristóbal A. & Riaz A. (2016) Enhancing the exploration of aircraft changeability during conceptual design. In: 30th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, ICAS 2016, Daejeon, Korea, 25-30 September 2016.
- Guenov MD, Molina-Cristóbal A, Voloshin V, Riaz A, Van Heerden ASJ, Sharma S, Cuiller C & Giese T (2016) Aircraft systems architecting - a functional-logical domain perspective. In: 16th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, 2016, Washington, 13-17 June 2016.
- Guenov MD, Nunez M, Molina-Cristóbal A, Datta VC & Riaz A (2014) Aircadia -an interactive tool for the composition and exploration of aircraft computational studies at early design stage. In: 29th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2014, St. Petersburg, 7-12 September 2014.
- Chen X, Molina-Cristóbal A, Guenov MD, Datta VC & Riaz A (2018) A novel method for inverse uncertainty propagation. In: Advances in evolutionary and deterministic methods for design, optimization and control in engineering and sciences, Basel: Springer.
- Guenov MD, Nunez M, Molina-Cristóbal A, Sripawadkul V, Datta V & Riaz A (2014) Composition, management, and exploration of computational studies at early design stage. In: Computational intelligence in aerospace sciences, Reston,VA: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, p. 415-460.