Contact Ann Holden
Areas of expertise
- Applied Informatics
- Digital Agriculture
- Energy and the Environment
- Monitoring and Environmental Informatics
- Natural Capital
- Soil Resources
Ann Holden has considerable experience in GIS and software development in environmental based research. Ann gained a BSc honours degree in Geography and Maths at Keele University, with a distinction in Computing. After working as a commercial software developer for several years, she returned to academia and graduated with a MSc in Geographical Information Management at Cranfield University.
Subsequently, in 2002, Ann joined Cranfield staff as an GIS developer. In this role she has applies her expertise to a wide range of research projects, where geospatial analysis, model development and visualisation have contributed to research impact. These include tea yield modelling, pesticide fate (CatchIS), urban observatory, energy use efficiency, environmental informatics, soil mapping and databases (e.g. LandIS - Land Information System ), and life cycle assessment. Ann also shares her expertise through the masters taught programme, running tutorials, supporting seminars and co-supervising student projects.
A key interest is creating practical environmentally based tools using the latest techniques in GIS and software.
- Severn Trent Water
- Yorkshire Water
- Anglian Water
- United Utilities
- Environment Agency
Articles In Journals
- Giannitsopoulos ML, Burgess PJ, Sakrabani R, Holden A, Saini H & Kirui C (2023) Modelling the effects of soil organic content and pH on the yield responses of tea to nitrogen fertilizer, Agricultural Systems, 212 (December) Article No. 103754.
- Foereid B, Bellamy PH, Holden A & Kirk GJD (2012) On the initialization of soil carbon models and its effects on model predictions for England and Wales, European Journal of Soil Science, 63 (1) 32-41.
- Hallett SH, Boyce D, Laidoudi G, Mcintosh BS, Rinaudo JD, Courtois N, Imeson A & Holden A (2005) SCAPT: A Strategic Catchment Analysis and Planning Tool.. In: Drought and Water Deficiency: From Research to Policy Making, Cyprus, 12-13 May 2005.
- Hollis JM, Jones RJA, Marshall CJ, Holden A, Van De Veen JR & Montanarella L (2006) SPADE2: The Soil Profile Analytical Database for Europe version 1.0. Office for the official Publications of the European Communities.