Fulbright Awards are available for US citizens to fund their first year of a master's or doctorate degree or to pursue research at an educational institution within the UK.

The awards cover tuition fees, a maintenance stipend and accident and sickness insurance for one academic year, usually beginning in mid-late September (approximately nine months).

In the Fulbright Open Award category (also known as the All-Disciplines award), approximately five awards will be offered to US citizens for the first year of master's or PhD study in any subject, at any accredited UK university, or to conduct a period of independent research with a UK institution. (Please note: in the UK, master's degree programmes are typically one year long, and PhD study is typically three years long.)

At a glance

  • Suitable for Applicants fromRest of world
  • DeadlineOn going
  • Funding provider(s)US-UK Fulbright Commission 

What it covers

Tuition fees, maintenance, accident/sickness insurance for one year.

Who can apply

To apply, applicants must be a US citizen applying to a UK university for a master's or PhD course.

Applicable courses

This funding opportunity is applicable to many courses, please see the 'Who can apply' section for more information.

Further information

Applications open each year in April. 

For more information please visit the Fulbright Commission website.

How to apply

Fulbright applications to the Fulbright Open Award require an Embark Application administered through the IIE Fulbright website.

For more information please visit the Fulbright Commission website

Applications for the next academic year will open in April and close at the start of October.