Danish students who wish to study abroad may apply for a scholarship for up to two years.

The scholarships are intended to partly or wholly cover the tuition fees of certain study programmes in other countries.They are specifically for full-time master’s degrees.

  • Student grant approved programmes: the foreign education programme must be approved as giving entitlement to the student grant.
  • Study grant portions: you must have a minimum of five study grant portions and/or completion loan instalments left for each period corresponding to 30 ECTS credits that you wish to study with a scholarship for studies abroad.
  • If the study is of an artistic or a cultural nature it has to be included in a special list of approved programmes. The official length of the programme must be between 60 and 120 ECTS credits. The list is published on this website.
  • You must apply to the Danish Education Support Agency for a scholarship to take a full master’s programme abroad.

At a glance

  • Suitable for Applicants fromEU
  • DeadlineOn going
  • Funding provider(s)Danish Education Support Agency

What it covers

There is an upper limit to the study abroad scholarship. The maximum amount corresponds to the sum received by a Danish educational institution for a corresponding study programme in Denmark. Should the tuition fees at Cranfield University be higher than the Danish scholarship, you must pay the remainder of the fee yourself or apply for a loan (udlandsstudielån).

Who can apply

The awards are open to Danish students who wish to study periods abroad that form part of a Danish study programme or whole study programmes at master’s-level abroad.

A number of conditions must be met in order to be awarded the scholarship for studies abroad:

  • You must be entitled to the student grant, apply for it and fulfil the conditions for receiving it (this applies even though you may not wish to receive the student grant);
  • You must have been admitted to a study programme abroad and you must apply for admission yourself;
  • You have to pay a tuition fee for your place of education abroad and you must produce documentation to show that you have paid the tuition fee, how much you have paid, and what the tuition fee covers. The documentation must be dated, signed and stamped by Cranfield University;
  • Every six months, after the first year and after you finish your studies, you must document the progress of your studies. In other words, you must document that you have followed and passed the courses and examinations that your study programme involves.

Further information

If you wish to study abroad for a period, you should always approach the Danish educational institution where you are enrolled. If you wish to take a complete master’s programme, you must approach the Danish educational institution providing guidance concerning the study programme you wish to follow. The Danish educational institutions which provide guidance about the different study options are noted on the list of approved programmes. If no counsellor is registered for the study programme you wish to follow, you must apply to the Danish educational institution where you took your bachelor’s degree. If you do not have a bachelor’s degree from a Danish educational institution, you must apply to the Danish educational institution offering a programme corresponding to the one you wish to study abroad.

You can receive guidance regarding the quality of study programmes abroad, the relevance of the course of study in relation to the Danish programme, and general guidance about Danish education regulations and their relation to education regulations abroad. The Danish educational institutions cannot provide guidance about practical matters concerning completing study programmes abroad. If you have any questions in this regard, you should contact the foreign institution where you wish to study.

How to apply

Please refer to the Danish Student Grant and Loan Scheme website for details on how to apply.


You can apply for a scholarship for studies abroad for a study period or a whole master’s programme that starts on 1 July 2008 or after. You can apply for a study abroad scholarship at the earliest 12 months before the study programme commences, but you may only apply for periods of study/semesters you have not yet finished.