Thursday 16 July 2020
|1100hrs||Arrive at the Defence Academy|
|Check-in with Registry
Collect your gown
Have your photographs taken
|1330hrs||Ceremony Hall doors open
|1400hrs||1st bugle call
Robing Room and Photographic Studio close
Graduates to take their seats
Guests to take their seats
|1415hrs||2nd bugle call|
|1420hrs||Health & safety briefing|
Celebration afternoon tea
Photographic Studio reopens
Accommodation for military personnel
A limited amount of Mess accommodation will be available to military personnel. Please email Paula Compston, DA HQ Visits Officer, or call +44 (0)179331 (96161) 4808 for more information.
Accommodation in the locality
Should you or your guests require overnight accommodation there is a wide range of hotels in nearby Swindon. Please see the Visit Swindon website for more information.
Holiday Inn Express, Bridge Street, Swindon, SN1 1BT
T: +44 (0)870 444 3758
Premier Travel Inn, Blunsdon, Swindon, SN26 8DJ
T: +44 (0)870 990 6356
Stanton House Hotel, Stanton Fitzwarren, Swindon, SN6 7SD
T: +44 (0)870 084 1388
Sudbury House Hotel, 56 London Street, Faringdon, Oxon, SN7 8AA
T: +44 (0)1367 241272
Fax: 01367 242346
Travelodge Swindon Central, Princes Way, Princes Street, Swindon, SN1 2SF
T: +44 (0)871 984 6328
What you need to do now
Please ensure you read all of the information on these graduation web pages as well as this checklist.
- Tell us whether or not you are attending the ceremony - details can be found on the General and Booking Information page. Even if you are not attending, you must access the site so that we can send your degree certificate to the correct address.
- Order your gown from Eve and Ravenscroft. Please insert the reference number from your gown order into the EVE task.
Don’t forget that to order your gown you will need your head circumference, chest and height measurements ready!
Gown prices have been held at the same price as previous years and are £51 for Masters and £58 for Doctors, Military £42 for Masters and £49 for Doctors.
Your gown will be waiting for you with our Ede and Ravenscroft team who will assist in gowning you prior to your ceremony.
- Book your two guest tickets through the Ede and Ravenscroft website. Guest tickets are priced at £25 which we have held at that price from previous years. This cost includes attendance at the ceremony, celebratory afternoon tea and a souvenir programme. The booking site closes on Friday 3 July 2020.
- Inform us of your guest names for inclusion on the Defence Academy gate list via EVE.
- Pre-book your photography requirements through the Ede and Ravenscroft website.
- Inform us of any special requirements for you or your guests on EVE.
- If you and your guests require a visa, you can request a visa letter on EVE.
- Pre-book lunch in Roberts Hall Officers' Mess if required.
What to bring with you on the day
- Photo ID;
- Email confirmation from the Ede and Ravenscroft online booking system for your gown and photography (if applicable);
- The summary email confirming the names of your guests.
Things to remember on the day
- Enter via Beckett Gate;
- Park as instructed;
- Register with Registry staff at the ceremony venue;
- Collect guest tickets at ceremony venue;
- Collect your gown from the robing room;
- Have your photograph taken;
- Find your seat inside the ceremony hall (ushers will be available to assist);
- Ensure your guests are seated in the ceremony hall and you are seated at the appropriate time;
- Ensure you have read the University web pages informing you of the etiquette and protocol expected at the graduation ceremony.
Graduating from Cranfield University at the Defence Academy is a great achievement and a very special occasion that you will want to remember by having professional photographs taken.
Ede and Ravenscroft provide a full photography service for the graduation day. This is an optional service which you can either book in advance or pay for on the day. Each graduate is also photographed when they are presented to the Chancellor during the ceremony, which can be purchased from Ede and Ravenscroft.You can order this service through your EVE account where you will be directed to their website.
Ede and Ravenscroft also provide memorabilia of your graduation. Merchandise can be pre-ordered from their website or purchased on the day from the photography studios.
The studios will be open from 11:00 to 13:45 and will re-open after the ceremony, closing at 17:00.
Dress for graduands
To participate in the ceremony, you are required to wear academic dress. Academic dress is obligatory for both military and civilian graduands and you will need to wear the correct robes to attend the ceremony.
Dress for service graduands
Service graduands (medals and decorations are to be worn, no swords)
RN: No 1B Uniform
Army: No 2 Dress with Sam Browne/Crossbelt and No 1 Dress hat
RAF: No 1 Home Dress with Service Dress hat
Overseas officers should wear equivalent dress appropriate to their service.
Academic dress must be worn over your uniform with service headwear rather than a mortar board.
Dress for civilian graduands
Your graduation ceremony is a formal occasion and we request that graduands and their guests dress appropriately. Please see below details on acceptable attire for graduands, which we highly recommend you follow:
- Gentlemen are advised to wear a suit, shirt and tie;
- Ladies are advised to wear buttoned clothing to ensure your hood can attach securely;
- National costume or military uniform are also acceptable modes of dress;
- All graduates are advised to wear smart sensible shoes with an appropriate heel height;
- Jackets for men are a good idea as it gives the gown a better shape;
- Casual wear (e.g. jeans and T-shirts) is not acceptable clothing for the ceremony.
The graduation hood is worn over the gown and has a loop on the neck band. This is best held in place by a button on a shirt or blouse. It can be pinned but you should be aware that this may leave a mark or a tear on the top or dress. For men, the neckband of the hood can be worn under or over your tie. When you collect your gown, you will be shown exactly how to wear it. Female graduands should be aware that wearing a low-cut dress or top makes pinning the hood difficult.
Hiring your academic gown
You must wear academic dress at the ceremony.
It is the responsibility of graduands to hire their gowns in advance of the ceremony.
Arrangements have been made with Ede and Ravenscroft for the hire of gowns and hoods for both military and civilian graduands.
Hire your gown online from the Ede and Ravenscroft website and it will be available for collection at the ceremony venue on the day.
Graduands should make a note of the reference number and insert this number on the graduation online booking form on EVE when requested.
Before you go online to order your gown, make sure you know your head circumference, chest and height measurements and have your credit/debit card details available.
Gown hire charges are:
- £51 for Masters gown
- £58 for Doctors gown
- £42 Masters (Military)
- £49 Doctors (Military)
MBA graduates should choose the Masters gown when ordering.
Service graduates should choose Master's Degree (Military) when ordering.
Once you have ordered online, please print out your order confirmation and take it with you when you collect your gown on the day of the ceremony - this will ensure that your gowning is quick and efficient.
In addition to the academic gown, suitable attire must also be worn with appropriate footwear.
You will need to book your gown directly with Ede and Ravenscroft via their website.
Gowns will be delivered to Shrivenham prior to the ceremony ready for your collection on the day.
Please remember that graduation is a formal occasion. Jeans, T-shirts and similar casual items are not considered appropriate attire for the graduation ceremony.
Gown collection and return
Your gown will be available for collection from the Robing Room in the ceremony venue between 11:00 and 13:45 on the day.
Gowns will need to be returned to the Robing Room no later than 17:30 on the day.