This 1-day short-course provides an introduction to biological processes and activated sludge processes.
Dissolved and particulate of carbon removal is completed in secondary treatment processes and activated sludge is the most widely used technology.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration1 day
- LocationCranfield campus
Course structureLectures, group discussions, group work, tutorials.
What you will learn
- Introduction to microbiology and kinetics,
- Clear appreciation of suspended biomass carbon removal processes based on activated sludge,
- Describe key design and operational parameters, reactor configurations, clarification, sludge retention time in activated sludge,
- Troubleshooting and poor solids settleability,
- Appreciation of aeration and oxygen mass transfer, standard operation and efficiency,
- Calculations and overview of real examples.
- Process design,
- Process science and engineering,
- Biological processes,
This course is accredited for Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) CPD.
Professor Ana Soares - Lecturer in Biological Processes
Dr Ean McAdam - Reader in Process Engineering
Professor Bruce Jefferson - Professor of Water Engineering
Concessions(20% discount for Cranfield alumni, 10% discount for colleagues of alumni)
£275 - Professional/trade association discount
£265 - Multiple bookings*
* Minimum of five delegates
Accommodation options and prices
This is a non-residential course. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information regarding our accommodation on campus can be found here.
Alternatively you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.