Recent years have seen an apparent increase in flood events in the UK and the rest of Europe. Read more Read less
The ‘risk’ of flooding can be considered as the product of the probability of a flood occurring and the consequences of the flood. This course considers the techniques for estimating flood probability, engineering and non-structural measures to reduce flood probability, economic techniques for evaluating flood consequences and current approaches to managing flood risk.
At a glance
- 07 - 09 Dec 2021
- DurationThree days
- LocationOnline and Cranfield Campus
Course structureThis course is delivered via a mixture of face-to-face, and online lectures
What you will learn
On successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Select the appropriate method to determine the likelihood of a flow of a given magnitude for ungauged catchments and for catchments with some historical data,
- Critically use the Flood Estimation Handbook (FEH) method to estimate the likelihood of peak flows in ungauged catchments in the UK,
- Evaluate the impacts of alternative channel designs for flood alleviation,
- Understand the technical and non-technical approaches to flood risk management at the catchment scale,
- Understand the current policy for flood risk management in the UK and elsewhere.
Accommodation options and prices
This is a non-residential course. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information regarding our accommodation on campus can be found here.
Alternatively you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.