This workshop has been developed as the next stage on to our Safety Assessment of Aircraft Systems course. During this course, delegates will undertake a comprehensive System Safety Assessment on an actual aircraft. Read more Read less
Delegates will carry out safety analyses on a system installed on the unique Cranfield A1 aerobatic Aircraft using schematics and the actual aircraft as appropriate.
To facilitate online and distance learning, a web-based model of the Cranfield A1 aircraft has been created so this course has full flexibility of delivery location whilst maintaining its practical nature. Also, due to the course design and web-based teaching materials, this course can be suitable for those who reside in multiple time zones.
Delegates will work in groups to carry out the System Safety Assessment and will use various methods including Functional Hazard Assessment (FHA), Particular Risks (PA), Enhanced Fault Tree Analysis (EFTA), Failure Modes and Effect Analysis (FMEA), and Zonal Safety Analysis (ZSA).
At a glance
- 27 Jun - 01 Jul 2022
- Duration1 week
- LocationOnline and Cranfield Campus
£1,735 The course fee includes refreshments and lunch during the day. Accommodation is not included and must be booked separately.Concessions available
Course structureThe course takes the form of a series of hands-on tutorials to describe the process and techniques involved, over 4.5 days. All delegates will receive a Certificate of Attendance at the end of the course.
What you will learn
You will carry out safety analyses on a system installed on an aircraft using drawings, schematics and the actual aircraft as appropriate. These analyses will form an integral part of the workshop objective of producing a comprehensive System Safety Assessment. You will work in groups to carry out the System Safety Assessment and will use various methods including the following safety analysis techniques. At the end of the workshop each delegate will present the results of all team work.
- Functional Hazard Assessment (FHA): The FHA exercise will identify the critical failure conditions of the system. Each group will classify the failure conditions in accord with the categories defined in the Advisory Material to 1309 and identify the analysis techniques most appropriate to each.
- Particular Risks: The Particular Risks appropriate to the system and its installation will also be considered as appropriate.
- Enhanced Fault Tree Analysis (EFTA): The groups will carry out an Enhanced Fault Tree Analysis for the failure conditions identified by the FHA as being appropriate to this analytical technique.
- Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA): This exercise will use existing system drawings in order to perform FMEA on the aircraft system.
- Zonal Safety Analysis: Delegates will carry out a Zonal Safety Analysis on the aircraft zones in which the system is installed.
Who should attend
The course is designed for personnel from all parts of the aviation industry although it will be of particular value to those working for manufacturers, suppliers, operators and aviation authorities who are concerned with the design, reliability, safety or certification of aircraft systems.
This course is presented in association with RGW Cherry and Associates.
The course is presented by Dr Leigh Dunn from Cranfield University, Professor Ray Cherry and Maurice James of RGW Cherry & Associates.
Group Discount: Where more than three delegates are booking from within one site or one organisation, a discount for the course is offered. Please ask about discount scheme at time of booking. Accommodation fees are not included in the discount scheme.
Accommodation options and prices
This course is currently being delivereing online.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.For further location and travel details
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.