The Cranfield Safety and Accident Investigation Centre are offering a workshop series for the rail industry, carefully developed in close collaboration with the accident investigation community. Read more Read less
The Applied Rail Accident Investigation Workshop Series concentrates on the specific operational and technical aspects relevant to the most common types of rail accidents. The Workshop Series can be booked individually or as a three week course.
The course modules run on the following dates;
Workshop 1 - 26-30 June 2017
Workshop 2 - 3-5 July 2017
Workshop 3 - 5-7 July 2017
Workshop 4 - 10-14 July 2017
At a glance
- 26 Jun - 14 Jul 2017
- Duration4 workshops over 3 weeks
- LocationCranfield Campus
- CostWorkshop 1 - £1500 Workshop 2 - £900 Workshop 3 - £900 Workshop 4 - £1500 Fee to attend all four workshops - £4450 Concessions available
Course structureThe course is formally assessed, and when combined with our Fundamentals of Accident Investigation course completes the core element of our MSc in Safety and Accident Investigation - Rail Transport.
What you will learn
Upon successful completion of this workshop series, you should be able to:
- Plan initial activities at a rail accident site taking into account factors such as type and severity of accident, hazards, location, time limitations and other requirements
- Identify, collect, inspect and analyse information/evidence from a variety of sources appropriate to the type of accident, including physical evidence, documentary evidence and interview information
- Investigate occupant safety and survivability aspects in rail accident investigations
- Compose an accident report and develop feasible safety recommendations
- Successfully manage an accident investigation, both on-site and through to the publication and acceptance of recommendations.
The workshops build on the Fundamentals of Accident Investigation course to develop specialist skills for the investigation of rail accidents. Over the four workshops, experienced presenters from industry and accident investigation organisations will cover the following subjects:
Advanced Accident Investigation Skills
Rail accident site management; accident site risk management; advanced interviewing skills; advanced investigative photography; advanced analysis methods; fire investigations; rail crashworthiness and passenger survivability.
Investigating Derailment Accidents
Overview of factors contributing to derailment accidents and case studies; collecting, inspecting and interpreting evidence (on site); dynamic modelling of wheel/rail interface response; relevant human factors aspects.
Investigating SPADs, Collisions and Level Crossing Accidents
Overview of factors contributing to Signals Passed at Danger, collision/level crossing accidents and case studies; basic principles of signalling and relevant safety systems in train control; relevant human factors aspects.
Rail Accident Investigation Simulation*
A five-day practical exercise in a simulated accident investigation scenario where delegates can apply the skills and knowledge acquired in the Fundamentals of Accident Investigation course and other workshops in the Applied Rail Accident Investigation series. The simulation takes the delegate through the entire investigation process from notification, site investigation, interviews, analysis, report writing and formulating recommendations.
* Currently this workshop is only for applicants who have completed the Fundamentals of Accident Investigation course or have an appropriate background, initial training and experience.
Who should attend
The workshop series is designed for Rail Accident Investigators, Incident officers, Accredited agents, Safety managers and other professionals involved in rail safety.
All lectures and workshops will be in English and due to the intensity of the course, those without a thorough knowledge of English would be at a severe disadvantage. There are no formal qualifications for entry.
Organisations that have already benefitted from the course:
• Accident Investigation Board Norway
• Accident Investigation Board Denmark
• Dutch Safety Board
• Estonian Safety Investigation Bureau
• Etihad Rail
• GISAF Portugal
• Infrabel Belgium
• Korean Aviation and Railway Accident Investigation Board
• Ministry of Public Works and Transport Spain
• Network Rail UK
• Rail Accident Investigation Unit Ireland
• Railway Accident and Incident Investigation Belgium
• Railway Traffic Accident Investigation Agency Croatia
• Swiss Transportation Safety Investigation Board
• Transport Accident Investigation Commission New Zealand
• Transportation Safety Bureau Hungary.
One of the key benefits of this course is our ability to bring together a world-class group of experts to share their experiences with delegates. Past presenters included accident investigators and experts from UK Rail Accident Investigation Branch, UK Network Rail, Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency, European Railway Agency, Infrabel, University of Edinburgh, Dutch Safety Board, and Intergo
Course Director, Postgraduate Programmes in Safety and Accident Investigation
Where three delegates or more are booking from within one site or one organisation, a discount of 10% will apply to the invoice for the course tuition fee. Accommodation fees are not included in the discount scheme. Please ask about our discount scheme at time of booking.
Accommodation options and prices
Accommodation is available at Mitchell Hall which is located on campus. All rooms are en-suite and bookings are on a half-board basis from Sunday to Friday. If you would like to book accommodation for this short course at Mitchell Hall, please indicate this on the registration form and we will arrange this for you.
Alternatively, you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.