Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is an important technology for handling geographic data and has wide application for studies of the environment. This course provides the essentials for using a GIS to create map outputs and perform typical spatial analysis operations. Read more Read less
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- DurationFive days
- Cost£1,400 Concessions available
Course structureThis is a five day course delivered live online. Each day will be a mixture of presentations to provide learning on data types, projections, cartography, data processing and spatial analysis, supported by online tutorial exercises using GIS software accessible online or on your own device.
What you will learn
On successful completion of this online short course you will be able to:
- Identify the functional components of a GIS,
- Define system specifications including projections, data and process modelling,
- Organise, using appropriate data structures, geographic data within a GIS,
- Analyse and evaluate data and prepare digital databases using GIS software,
- Summarise, using maps and tables, the results of GIS based analyses.
- GIS theory - data structures; data formats; data storage; spatial and non-spatial data; spatial querying; analysis techniques – reclassification, overlay, proximity, mensuration, visualisation, map algebra; hardware and software; system specification; projections; datums; spheroids,
- Hands-on exercises using a GIS software application.
TimetableGIS Online timetable 2021
Who should attend
This course is suitable for those who wish to:
- Explore the capabilities of GIS for analysing spatial data and creating spatial outputs,
- Receive formal training in the use of GIS,
- Gain greater insights into data structures and their appropriate application.
20% discount for Cranfield alumni, 10% discount for colleagues of alumni.
£1,340 Professional/trade association discount.
£1,280 Multiple bookings*
*minimum of 5 delegates
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.