This short course will provide an understanding of the role that surfaces play in materials behaviour. The five-day course provides an overview of surface engineering from a product lifecycle perspective, starting with the design through to the testing and validation of a coating system. The teaching is supported by case studies designed for learners to appreciate how surface engineering may be used to optimise a component’s performance as well as a simulation exercise. You will also learn suitable analytical techniques used to evaluate and characterise surfaces and thin samples.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£1,400 Concessions available
What you will learn
On successful completion of this short course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the concepts of surface engineering applied to a product lifecycle
- Have a greater appreciation of the deposition methodologies used to design and modify surfaces
- Understand the lab-scale analytical methods used to verify the design
- Appreciated the design intent and the functionality of the coatings design
- Validation and product performance in a service environment
- Have an appreciation of the sustainability of the coating system design.
- Philosophy of surface engineering, general applications and requirements. Physics of the plasma state and plasma surface interactions. Surface engineering as part of a manufacturing process. Influence of surface engineering on the product life cycle. Integrating coating systems into the design process. Coating manufacturing processes. Electro deposition. Flame spraying. Plasma spray. Physical vapour deposition. Chemical vapour deposition. HIP surface treatments.
- Analytical Techniques: X-ray diffraction, TEM, SEM and EDX, WDX analysis, surface analysis by AES, XPS and SIMS, overview of other techniques
SpeakersSteve Bomford, Oerlikon Metco (UK) Ltd.
Training and application manager.
Experienced Technical Customer Support Manager with a demonstrated history of working in the surface engineering industry. Strong information technology professional skilled in sales, management, continuous improvement, business development, and training.
20% discount for Cranfield Alumni.
10% discount when registering 3 or more delegates, from the same organisation at the same time.
Accommodation fees are not included in the discount scheme. Please ask about our discount scheme at time of booking.
Accommodation options and prices
This course is non-residential. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information about our on campus accommodation can be found here. Alternatively you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.