This course provides a solid introduction to the issues concerning the management of spatial information. Read more Read less
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield Campus
- Cost£1,400 - Standard (20% discount for Cranfield alumni, 10% discount for colleagues of alumni) £1,340 - Professional/trade association discount £1,280 - Multiple bookings* * Minimum of 5 delegates
What you will learn
On successful completion of this short course you will:
- Design and build appropriate database structures for GIS analysis using a Geodatabase
- Manipulate data within and between a range of database management systems
- Appreciate the application of systems analysis methodologies to spatial data
- Appreciate role of the INSPIRE Directive for driving interoperability between spatial data infrastructures
- Establish and use protocols for data and metadata management
- Practical experience with a range of industry-standard database systems, data and GIS tools.
- Introduction and overview of spatial data management
- Database structures – ordered and indexed lists, hierarchical, network, relational, object oriented. Hybrid structure
- Metadata – standards and practice, creation, maintenance, distribution, control
- Systems analysis and analysis approaches – methods for designing computerised spatial systems
- Object orientation – theory and practice
- Data formats, interoperability and handling of geographic data
- INSPIRE and the Spatial Data Infrastructure
- Client server database management systems – Postgres/PostGIS and SQL.
Upgrade to a professional qualificationCranfield credits are available for this short course which you can put towards selected Cranfield degrees. Find out more about short course credit points.
Accommodation options and prices
Accommodation is available at Mitchell Hall which is located on campus. All rooms are en-suite and bookings are on a half-board basis from Sunday to Friday. If you would like to book accommodation for this short course at Mitchell Hall, please indicate this on the registration form and we will arrange this for you.
Alternatively, you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.