Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is an important technology for handling geographic data and has wide application for studies of the environment.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- DurationFive days
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£1,400 standard (20% discount for Cranfield alumni, 10% discount for colleagues of alumni) £1,340 Professional/trade association discount £1,280 Multiple bookings* *minimum of 5 delegates
What you will learn
On successful completion of this short course you will be able to:
- Describe the functional components of a GIS,
- Define system specifications including projections, data and process modelling,
- Organise, using appropriate data structures, geographic data within a GIS,
- Analyse data and prepare digital databases using GIS software,
- Summarise, using maps and tables, the results of GIS based analyses.
- GIS theory,
- Data structures,
- Data formats,
- Data storage,
- Data standards,
- Spatial and non-spatial data,
- Spatial querying,
- Analysis techniques - reclassification, overlay, proximity, mensuration, visualisation, map algebra; hardware and software; system specification; projections; datums; spheriods,
- ArcGIS - overview of ArcGIS, ArcMap, ArcCatalog; ArcToolbox, Spatial Analyst.
Upgrade to a professional qualificationCranfield credits are available for this short course which you can put towards selected Cranfield degrees.
SpeakersMr Tim Brewer
Accommodation options and prices
This is a non-residential course. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information regarding our accommodation on campus can be found here.
Alternatively you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.