This course provides a theoretical, applied and experimental understanding of the main engineering fields involved in the design and the operation of hydrodynamic testing facilities (such as wave tanks, towing tanks and water circulation channels) and aerodynamic testing facilities (i.e. wind tunnels).
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield Campus
- Cost£1,700. The course fee includes refreshments and lunch during the day. Accommodation is not included and must be booked separately. Concessions available
What you will learn
On completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Critically evaluate the tools and techniques available for physical testing of wind, wave and tidal energy devices and their supporting structures
- Assess the limitations of sub-scale testing and evaluate consequences for full scale performance
- Identify the most common issues and regulatory requirements for certifying wind, wave and tidal energy devices in the UK.
- Hydrodynamic Testing: Overview of facilities and techniques for testing offshore renewable energy technologies with visit to the Cranfield Wave Tank Test facility including practical demonstrations
- Review of existing facilities worldwide and their capabilities
- Theoretical background - Scaling Laws
- Wave generation and absorption at model scale
- Towing mechanisms
- Water circulation systems
- State of the art instrumentation and flow visualisation.
- Aerodynamic testing: Overview of facilities and techniques for testing wind turbine rotors with visits to the Cranfield Wind Tunnel facilities and Wind Turbine Test facility including practical demonstrations.
- Wind Tunnels (model scaling and blockage constraints, model mounting systems and instrumentation)
- Full-scale testing
- Wind-speed monitoring.
- Certification routes:
- Verification procedures
- Performance warranties.
Who should attendThis course will be of interest to those involved in the design and testing of marine renewable energy converters.
AccreditationThis short course is a module within the MSc in Renewable Energy Engineering which is accredited by the Energy Institute.
SpeakersDr Florent Trarieux
Concessions10% discount applies if booked eight weeks in advance. 10% discount for third and subsequent delegates from the same company/site. Only one discount is applicable per booking.
Accommodation options and prices
Accommodation is available at Mitchell Hall which is located on campus. All rooms are en-suite and bookings are on a half-board basis from Sunday to Friday. If you would like to book accommodation for this short course at Mitchell Hall, please indicate this on the registration form and we will arrange this for you.
Alternatively, you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.