This course introduces the principles, methods and instrumentation of some typical process measurement systems. Read more Read less
for applications in industries and engineering such as oil and gas, pharmaceutical and chemical engineering. This short course is part of an MSc Course that is accredited by IMechE and the Energy Institute. In this course the delegates will take practical sessions in a unique industrial-scale pilot plant in our laboratory.
The course provides an overview of:
- Operational Issues for Process Measurement
- Methods for Data Transmission
- Selection of Instrumentation Systems.
At a glance
- DurationFive days
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£1,700 The course fee includes refreshments and lunch during the day. Accommodation is not included and must be booked separately. Concessions available
Course structureThis course takes place over one week and includes lectures, tutorials and lab demonstrations. You will have the opportunity to experience Cranfield's near industrial-scale three phase flow facility and Emerson Delta-V control system. All delegates will receive a Certificate of Attendance at the end of the course.
What you will learn
Upon completion of the Process Measurement Systems course, you will:
- Understand the types and technologies for measuring and/or monitoring of different process variables, e.g. pressure, temperature, flow rate, fluid density and viscosity and chemical contents
- Understand the factors which affect the operation of a process measurement system
- Understand the factors which have to be considered when selecting a process measurement system
- Gain the knowledge to propose the most appropriate measurement system for a given process application.
- Calibration, Measurement Errors and Uncertainty
- Data Transmission and Telemetry
- Density/Viscosity Measurement
- Flow Measurement
- Multiphase Flow Measurement
- Practice session in an industrial scale pilot plant
- Process Monitoring Requirements
- Selection and Maintenance of Instrumentation
- Sensor Technologies
- Signal Conditioning and Conversion
- Smart and Intelligent Instrumentation/Soft Sensor
- Temperature/Pressure/Level Measurement
Who should attend
This short course will be of particular interest to engineers and consultants employed in the process, chemical, water, power, oil and gas industries, who are involved with process instrumentation and control, process management, and require an update on state of the art technologies used in industrial process measurement.
- Dr Liyun Lao –Senior Research Fellow
The lecturers delivering this course are also including specialists from other elite academic institutes and instrumentation manufacturers.
Concessions10% discount applies if booked 8 weeks in advance. 10% discount for 3rd and subsequent delegates from the same company/site. Only one discount is applicable per booking.
Accommodation options and prices
This is a non-residential course. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information regarding our accommodation on campus can be found here.
Alternatively you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Location addressCranfield University
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.