The aim of this course is to provide a theoretical and applied understanding of fluid mechanics and fluid loading. Practical applications where the aerodynamic, the hydrostatic and hydrodynamic loads typically acting on marine structures (oil & gas, offshore renewable energy) are analysed and discussed.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration1 week
- LocationCranfield Campus
- Cost£1,700. The course fee includes refreshments and lunch during the day. Accommodation is not included and must be booked separately. Concessions available
Course structureThe course is held over one week with theoretical lectures complemented by practical tutorial sessions and industry experience sharing sessions. All delegates will receive a Certificate of Attendance at the end of the course.
What you will learn
The course aims to give delegates the tools to manage problems of structures-fluid interactions. A theoretical background on basic fluid mechanics is given, followed by a focus on aerodynamic and hydrodynamic loading on structures, particularly offshore and sub-sea. It also aims to present the dynamics of floating bodies, from simple hydrostatics to complex dynamic response in waves.
Principles of Fluid Dynamics:
1. Properties of Fluids
- Control Volumes and Fluid Elements
- Momentum and Energy Equations
- Stream Function and Velocity Potential
- Bernoulli’s Equation.
2. Flow Structures
- Boundary Layer Theory
- Laminar and Turbulent Flow
- Steady and Unsteady Flow
- Flow Breakdown and Separations
- Vortex Formation and Stability.
3. Lifting Flows
- Circulation Theory
- Prandtl’s Lifting-Line Theory
- Sources of Drag
- Aerofoil Characteristics.
4. Wind Speed Profiles And Distributions
5. Fluid Loading On Horizontal And Vertical Axis Turbines
Dynamics of Floating Bodies:
(From Simple Hydrostatics to Complex Dynamic Response in Waves)
1. Gravity Wave Theories
2. Ocean Waves as a Random Process
3. Hydrostatics of Floating Bodies
- Buoyancy Forces And Stability
- Initial Stability
- The Wall Sided Formula And Large Angle Stability
- Stability Losses
- The Pressure Integration Technique.
4. Fluid Loading on Offshore Structures and Ocean Waves Theory:
- The Added Mass Concept
- Froude Krylov Force
- Linear Wave Theory
- Wave Loading (Diffraction Theory & Morison Equation).
5. Dynamics Response Of Floating Structures In Waves
- Dynamic Response Analysis
- Application To Floating Bodies (Buoys, Semisub, TLP)
- Effect Of Moorings.
Who should attend
Engineers working or wishing to work in the traditional offshore industry, offshore renewable energy (wind, wave and tidal energy).
- Design engineers
- Dynamics modelling engineers
- Test engineers
- Mechanical engineers
- Offshore oil & gas support structures design engineers
- Offshore wind turbine support structures engineers
- Research engineers
- Certification engineers
- Design and technical management personnel.
This short course is a module within the MSc in Advanced Mechanical Engineering which is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
- Dr Maurizio Collu, Offshore Renewable Energy Group
- Dr Andrew Shires, Offshore Renewable Energy Group
Concessions10% discount applies if booked 8 weeks in advance. 10% discount for 3rd and subsequent delegates from the same company/site.
Accommodation options and prices
Accommodation is available at Mitchell Hall which is located on campus. All rooms are en-suite and bookings are on a half-board basis from Sunday to Friday. If you would like to book accommodation for this short course at Mitchell Hall, please indicate this on the registration form and we will arrange this for you.
Alternatively, you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.