This course introduces systematic approaches to the design and analysis of control systems for industrial applications.
At a glance
- 22 - 26 Oct 2018
- DurationFive days
- LocationCranfield Campus
- Cost£1,700. The course fee includes refreshments and lunch during the day. Accommodation is not included and must be booked separately. Concessions available
Course structureThe five day course includes lectures and hands-on Matlab sessions. All delegates will receive a Certificate of Attendance at the end of the course.
What you will learn
On completion of the course, you will:
- Gain comprehensive knowledge about structures of modern computer control systems
- Develop an awareness of available design tools
- Become familiar with the methodologies available for applying control in single loop
- Gain an understanding of the dynamics of processes and modelling methods
- Gain an understanding of the design process for continuous and discrete controllers for these systems
- Understand advanced control techniques, such as Kalman Filter and Model Predictive Control.
- Computer control system structure
- Process modelling and dynamics
- Feedback control
- Enhanced controllers
- Digital controllers
- Model predictive control
- Advanced control topics
- Case studies for process control systems
- Hands on control system design using Simulink and MATLAB.
Who should attend
The course will be of particular interest to automation engineers employed in various industries, such as the process, energy, water, oil & gas, pharmaceutical and food industries, who are involved with process automation and control, either in the design or development of control systems, their application, operation and management.
This short course is a module within:
- The MSc in Energy Systems and Thermal Processes which is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) and the Engineering Council
- The MSc in Process Systems Engineering which is accredited by the Engineering Council, Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), Energy Institute and the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS).
Concessions10% discount applies if booked 8 weeks in advance. 10% discount for 3rd and subsequent delegates from the same company/site. Only one discount is applicable per booking.
Accommodation options and prices
This is a non-residential course. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information regarding our accommodation on campus can be found here.
Alternatively you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.For further location and travel details
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.