Solid Solutions Management will be partnering with the Centre for Competitive Creative Design (C4D) at Cranfield University to deliver this short course, guiding delegates through the process of design. Over six days the course will provide technical learning, to take products from concept to detailed design, using 3D CAD modelling. Read more Read less
Using the industry SolidWorks software application, students will learn how to problem solve through a combination of group and individual activities cementing your learning with discussion and group related tasks at the beginning and end of every day.
At a glance
- Duration6 days
- LocationCranfield Campus
- Cost £1,200. Refreshments: snacks and coffee/tea will be provided throughout the day. Lunch and evening meals are not provided. However, there are many cafe's and restaurants across the University campus. Please note the course fee does not include hotel accommodation.
Course structureDelegates will be provided with a laptop or desktop computer over the six day period. However, if delegates would like to use their own laptop and license, then we would require prior notice. The C4D building will provide the setting of creative thinking at the centre of the Cranfield campus. Delegates will work in small groups to build confidence whilst interfacing with the SolidWorks software application and then progress to independent learning and eventually moving onto problem solving through a combination of group and individual short activities. Discussion and group related activities will be undertaken at the beginning and end of every day.
What you will learn
This course aims to appeal to designers and technical engineers that would like to learn the industry standard SolidWorks modelling software.
The key benefits are:
- Help the designer become proficient at modelling in CAD
- Introduction to a 3D tool to generate concepts quickly
- Taught methods of developing models, in preparation for basic dynamic testing, simulations and rendering
- Intuitive 3D design solution to quickly communicate complex technical data with supporting visual instructions
- Prepare CAD data for various modelling outputs.
Core contentThe structure of the training:
- Essentials: Sketching, creation, conversion to apply features in SolidWorks
- Essentials: Patterning, linked dimensions and equations, drawing and assembly introduction
- Advanced Parts: Multi-body parts and features
- Advanced Assembly: Insert components, advanced mates, evaluation tools
- Short Session and Exam for Certification.
Expectations of the course:
- Creating a part from a drawing, using linked dimensions and equations to aid in modelling, dimensions, parameters, mass property analysis, geometry creation, design intent modifications
- Creating configurations, tables and mass properties, changing features within an existing part
- Assembly development, adding parts, basic collision detection when moving parts in an assembly, interference detection, basic and flexible subassemblies, replacing a part with another part in an assembly, creating a coordinate system, using mass properties analysis.
TimetableThe course will commence with idea generation, conceptual design and feasibility. Followed by an intensive 3D CAD training on SolidWorks addressing sketch creation, 3D modelling, feature detailing, working drawings, complex geometry, assemblies and part evaluation. Towards the final stages of the course the participants will undergo an examination offering the opportunity to attain an industrial certification in SolidWorks.
Who should attend
This course is suitable for all creative individuals, innovators and professionals wanting to use CAD. An essential tool for designers to learn SolidWorks to improve their creative workflow. Companies are looking for their employees to use industry standard applications to stream-line their creative and engineering processes, create models and develop industry standard models. According to Solidworks there are:
“…More than 2,103,400 product designers and engineers worldwide, representing 178,100 organisations, using SolidWorks to bring their designs to life from the coolest gadgets to innovations that deliver a better tomorrow.”
AccreditationSolid Solutions - Certified SolidWorks Professional (CSWP) will be supporting on the practical CAD training and accreditation aspect throughout the week, C4D will lead on the lecturing, practical sessions and support in hosting the exam.
- Dr Leon Williams - Senior Lecturer in Product & Services
- Simon Beamish - Solid Solutions - Elite Applications Engineer
- Benji Wilson - Solid Solutions - Applications Engineer
- Rory Hooper - C4D Supporting Academic
- Laura Brady - C4D Supporting Administrator
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.