This module applies core search skills to a simulated search scenario (Operation Blue Bishop). The exercise requires the gathering, critical consideration and utilisation of a broad range of geospatial intelligence data to enable the attendees to produce a reasoned search strategy and set of tactical engagements that they will present for consideration as their assessed exercise.
You will consider a range of geospatial intelligence feeds, including historic mapping, aerial imagery and geophysics data in their construction of a search strategy.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
Course structureLectures, Group Work, Practical (Operation Blue Bishop), Blended learning
What you will learn
On successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Adapt search examination techniques into practice.
- Justify the principles of search management to evidence reasoned decision-making in high pressure environments.
- Evaluate the decision-making flowchart and its primary and secondary effects on the course of the operation.
- Create and adapt a search strategy and a set of tactical engagements that show dynamic response in relation to their use on a simulated scene.
- Critically appraise the range of roles and complexity of processes required on a successful major search.
- Aerial Imagery Analysis
- GIS use
- Historic mapping
- CATCHEM datasets
- Geophysical search techniques
- Use of Victim Recovery Dog (VRD) assets
- Case studies
Upgrade to a professional qualification
Accommodation options and prices
Please contact us for information regarding accommodation.
Location and travel
Situated close to Milton Keynes and Bedford, the Cranfield campus is situated in Wharley End, very close to Cranfield village, and is about 10 minutes from the M1 motorway. There is rail and road access to most major airports as well as coach and train stations. Cranfield campus also has its own airport for private executive business travel.
Download a visitor guide including map, directions and health and safety information.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.