This course is available as both a Standalone Short Course and Short Course for Credit.
Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
To develop knowledge and understanding of strategy and the philosophies and methodologies in strategic planning within the context of non-profit and public dimensions of the wider international security architecture
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
Short Course for Credit fee - £860
Standalone Short Course fee - £1,490
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module you should be able to:
- Appraise strategy, strategic concept, and design.
- Classify different strategic planning models and their application to the wider security sector
- Evaluate the role played by strategic planning in the development of national security policy
- Develop an accountability framework that can monitor, review and measure the performance of a strategy, and
- Critically assess the strengths and weaknesses of strategic plans and strategy documents and produce coherent arguments in written form for a specialist and non-specialist audience
The course will cover the following topics:
- What is strategy?
- Strategic planning philosophies, theories and normative frameworks
- The role of strategic planning in the development of national security and development plans/policies
- Global trends in national, regional and continental strategic planning
- Strategic analysis:methodological approaches and their application
- Strategic choice (option generation and evaluation): methodological approaches and their application (i.e. cross-impact analysis, multi-criteria decision analysis)
- Strategic accountability and performance management frameworks (i.e. Results Frameworks, etc)
- Understanding strategic implementation at the micro, meso and macro levels.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
After successful completion of this Short Course for Credit, 10 credit points can be put towards the Leadership and Security Pathway of the Defence and Security Programme (Leadership and Management) MSc
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.