This module will equip the student with the key concepts and skills involved in generating publishable research.
Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
At a glance
- DurationThree days
Accredited Short Course fee - £1,050
Course structureAsynchronous forum discussions, lectures, podcasts and reading. Synchronous debate and engagement with academics. Creation of a Wikki.
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module a student should be able to:
- appraise the suitability of different research paradigms in the context of an identified research question;
- construct a critical literature review of key texts, identifying the academic theory most relevant to an identified research questions;
- compare and contrast different data analysis techniques;
- distinguish between different forms of evidence; their validity and verifiability;
- outline the key requirements in generating research of a publishable quality, including specific needs of specific journals;
- relate research methods to the generation of innovative solutions and designs across defence and security challenges.
The course will cover the following topics:
- research paradigms and their application;
- how to write a critical literature review including the assessment of evidence and how to select appropriate sources;
- data analysis, including qualitative, quantitative and mixed method approaches;
- creating publishable quality research including discipline specific journals and how to write academically credible and professional reports.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
Dr Tracey Temple (Module Leader)
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.