Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
The course will examine the fundamental factors which influence the availability, reliability and support of defence equipment. You will consider current practices and standards for the development of system concepts and requirements for engineering of military systems.
At a glance
- 26 Feb - 01 Mar 2024
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
Cost£2,350 - Short Course for Credit fee
£1,925 - Standalone Short Course fee
Course structureOne course per year; 5 days duration per course.
What you will learnTo gain an understanding of the reliability and system effectiveness in relation to the defence industry. You will be able to demonstrate the application of reliability, maintainability and supportability methods to existing military equipment and identify their influence on equipment availability. Knowledge gained can be applied to purchasers of new defence equipment or the designers of new defence equipment.
The material covered includes:
- define the terms reliability, maintainability and supportability,
- the application of reliability, maintainability and supportability to existing military systems and identify their influence on equipment availability,
- judge the reliability, maintainability and supportability techniques used during the concept, design, development, demonstration, production and trials,
- reliability and maintainability case,
- current and novel probabilistic measures of reliability and maintainability,
- combining reliability and maintainability to achieve availability,
- MOD methods and procedures for assured delivery of availability, reliability and maintainability,
- lifecycle reliability, e.g. the bathtub curve,
- estimating system reliability using such tools as fault tree analysis,
- analysing redundancy using such tools as reliability block diagrams,
- maintenance strategies,
- reliability centred maintenance,
- ILS tools,
- health and usage monitoring,
Upgrade to a professional qualification
Find out more about short course credit points.
Who should attendSuitable for those in defence industry, including the Ministry of Defence employees, overseas military and industry, designers and procurers of defence equipment. Suitable for design engineers and systems engineers.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.