Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
Applicants must have completed 60 credits worth of study from the Systems Thinking Practice MSc before undertaking this course
The background to the systems worldview is multi-disciplinary and can be found in anthropology, biology, engineering sociology, psychology, informatics and economics amongst others.
This module enables the student to understand the underpinning philosophy and theory of systems science and systems thinking, enabling them to draw upon concepts from one discipline to provide insight into others, as well as to "join up" thinking across disciplines so as to avoid the artificial separation that discipline-oriented thinking can lead to. It is this multi-disciplinary approach that enables one to gain insight and achieve resolution into the most complex issues faced by society today
At a glance
- 16 Oct 2023 - 19 Jan 2024
- Cost£1,490 - Short Course for Credit Fee
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module you should be able to:
- Describe the philosophical underpinnings of the systems paradigm and the synthetic worldview, comparing and contrasting with reductionist and analytical approaches.
- Critically assess various systems thinking methodologies and approaches from the perspective of understanding, knowledge and viewpoints, relating them to philosophical concepts such as ontology and epistemology.
- Discuss the inter-relationships between systems thinking approaches and justify them from a foundational perspective.
The module consists of a number of units considering the following areas:
Upgrade to a professional qualification
When taken as a Short Course for Credit, 10 credit points can be put towards the Systems Thinking Practice MSc
Find out more about short course credit points.
Who should attend
The course is aimed at:
- Systems Analysts and Engineers of all disciplines
- Managers/decision makers/policy makers
- Individuals who need critical thinking skills to achieve successful outcomes in a complex working environment.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.