The Independent Study Project provides an opportunity for the student to work independently to plan and carry out a small piece of research. The student will integrate theoretical principles with the practical aspects of defence security exports, achieved by in-depth specialised study of a selected topic of professional significance, with guidance from a project supervisor.
At a glance
- LocationCranfield campus
Course structureStudents should choose a contemporary defence & security marketing related topic of professional significance. This topic can be conducted as a mini-consultancy project within the student’s company or as an independent library-based project. Any project will have to be agreed with the students’ supervisor and sponsor, where relevant. 100% of the marks are awarded on the final submission of a 4,000 word research project.
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module a student should be able to formulate a research design and then apply research and methodological skills to select, classify and analyse evidence to support or refute arguments on which policy positions and corporate decision-making are based.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Analyse and apply relevant theory and concepts to evidence and practice in the defence and security sector;
- critically appraise relevant literature, and use with respect to the specified field of study;
- develop and deliver specific personal learning outcomes for the project (agreed with your supervisor);
- conduct an independent advanced study project, including a literature review, and a critical evaluation of the specified topic;
- plan a research investigation based on a real world study, using and applying appropriate research methods;
- write clearly and effectively, meeting approved criteria for formal presentation of a project.
SpeakersMiss Paula MacPhee
Accommodation options and pricesPlease contact us for information regarding accommodation.
Location and travel
Situated close to Milton Keynes and Bedford, the Cranfield campus is situated in Wharley End, very close to Cranfield village, and is about 10 minutes from the M1 motorway. There is rail and road access to most major airports as well as coach and train stations. Cranfield campus also has its own airport for private executive business travel.
Download a visitor guide including map, directions and health and safety information.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.