To provide the students with an understanding of the principal information transmission concepts and techniques, and how modern military and commercial communications systems utilise these principal techniques.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationNSWC Crane, Indiana, USA
Course structureLectures, tutorials, computer based practical’s; video practical
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module a student should be able to:
- Identify and analyse the main functions of each of the component blocks in a communications system model, deriving suitable values for each of the system parameters
- Evaluate the principles, implementation and theoretical background of the principal modulation schemes employed in communication systems
- Synthesise the system models and critically analyse the performance of modern communication systems
Core content• Introduction: Transmitter and receiver communications system model
• Analogue modulation: Amplitude and Frequency modulation
• Digital modulation: ASK, FSK, PSK, DPSK, MSK, QAM
• Communications channel: Multipath effects, fading and diversity.
• Link budget analysis
• Multiplexing and multiple access: FDM, TDM, CDM, statistical multiplexing, FDMA, TDMA and CDMA.
• Error correction codes: Block, convolutional and trellis coding.
• Wideband multicarrier techniques: Spread spectrum techniques, OFDM. .
• HF and Scatter-based systems.
• Software Defined Radio
• Satellite communications
SpeakersDr Taufiq Asyhari
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.