Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
This module aims to give you an introduction to the wide range of modelling and simulation techniques used in Defence applications, from the basic underpinning principles of their construction through to the challenges and issues in their procurement, acquisition and capability management.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
Short Course for Credit fee - £1,310
Standalone Short Course fee - £1,750
Course structureThis is a five day course taught by a mix of lecture and computer practicals.
What you will learn
On completion of course you will be able to:
- Understand the main principles underlying a range of different modelling techniques in order to use them in a valid and appropriate manner in a Defence-related context.
- Examine the requirement to represent human behaviour, both individual and collective, in Defence simulations and explore the strengths and weaknesses of different modelling techniques to meet these needs.
- Understand how software is developed and how the processes and principles of software engineering support the implementation of appropriate applications in Defence related modelling and simulation.
- Understand the organisations, processes and policies relevant to the acquisition and through life support of Defence M&S Systems & Services.
- Verification and Validation of Defence M&S solutions
- Different approaches for implementing Defence M&S solutions
- Intelligent systems techniques and issues
- Discrete Event Simulation
- System Dynamics modelling
- Big Data and Analytics
- Software Development, Implementation and Management
- Acquisition of Defence M&S
Upgrade to a professional qualification
When taken as a Short Course for Credit, 10 credit points can be put towards the Defence Simulation and Modelling MSc
Find out more about short course credit points.
Who should attend
This course is aimed at young engineers who are starting a career in the defence industry who will be using Matlab and Simulink. An appropriate degree in engineering or science, or relevant experience, is required.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.