Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
Megaprojects are large, complex projects that typically have a value of above $1Bn. Once considered rarities, megaprojects are not only large, but growing constantly larger and are being constructed in ever greater numbers. From high-speed rail to modern major defence projects, or from staging the Olympics to implementing national 5G communications networks, megaprojects affect our normal everyday lives and can impact millions of people.
What sets megaproject systems apart from more traditional system is not just their size but their complexity and scope – megaprojects often straddle public and private sector boundaries and are intrinsically linked to the general public. This means that technological, political, economic and societal aspects all coalesce and play an important role - both overtly and covertly – to system success.
This module explores the realm of megaproject systems and expands the traditional systems engineering approaches, thinking and methods to identify and address the complexity and closer integration of hard engineering, design, management and social sciences within a single entity.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
What you will learn
On successful completion of the course you will be able to:
- Extend established systems engineering approaches to the megaproject domain.
- Assemble and integrate appropriate methods and tools to account for socio-economic and political influences within the megaproject systems life-cycle.
- Formulate and defend a megaproject-level systems engineering management plan.
- Identify, evaluate and mitigate system evolution and dynamically generated risks
- Translate, summarise and communicate critical systems engineering elements of megaproject management to non-systems engineers to maximise project success
Unit 1 – The Megaproject Engineering Mindset
Unit 2 – Planning and Delivery
Unit 3 – Towards the Boundary and Beyond: Context
Unit 4 – Accounting for Change
Upgrade to a professional qualification
After successful completion of this Accredited Short Course, 10 credit points can be put towards the Systems Engineering MSc.
Find out more about short course credit points.
Location and travel
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.