Elements of this Module will be undertaken at Cranfield University at Shrivenham located on the Defence Academy of the United Kingdom. Security clearance will be required if this module is selected. Please refer to our entry requirements section for more details, or see further about security clearance for Cranfield at Shrivenham.
Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
Electives may not run if there is limited student uptake. However, alternatives will be offered.
This course provides an understanding of the structure and properties of materials, to understand how the processing and fabrication methods affect them, and to familiarise the student with the common faults that can arise during production.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
What you will learn
On successful completion of the module you will be able to:
- Assess and differentiate the macro and micro material structures of the various material families
- Evaluate the material properties and how they are affected by the material microstructures
- Evaluate how the chemical composition, microstructure and processing influences the properties of steels and non-ferrous metals
- Formulate likely causes of failure in a manufactured component.
- Introduction to materials families; metals, ceramics, polymers and composites
- Atomic/crystal structures, defects and dislocations
- Principles of metallography
- Phase diagrams and transformations
- Mechanical properties of materials
- Material processing, common faults and the resulting modes of failure
- Fabrication methods, common faults and the resulting modes of failure.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
This short course will be taught at Masters standard as it is one of the modules that comprise the postgraduate Forensic Modular Masters Programme. Registering for this Short Course for Credit and successfully passing the associated assessment will gain you 10 Cranfield credits. These could then be used to apply for a transfer towards a PgCert/PgDip or MSc in the Forensic Programme should you wish to complete one of these courses within 5 years.
AccreditationThe short courses are modules of the Forensic Modular Masters Programme, which is accredited by The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences.
- Dr Jon Painter - Module Leader
Sponsored by company £1925.00
Accommodation options and pricesThis course is non-residential. If you would like to book accommodation on campus, please contact Mitchell Hall or Cranfield Management Development Centre directly. Further information about our on campus accommodation can be found here. Alternatively you may wish to make your own arrangements at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Situated close to Milton Keynes and Bedford, the Cranfield campus is situated in Wharley End, very close to Cranfield village, and is about 10 minutes from the M1 motorway. There is rail and road access to most major airports as well as coach and train stations. Cranfield campus also has its own airport for private executive business travel.
Download a visitor guide including map, directions and health and safety information.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.