This course provides an understanding of the structure and properties of materials, to understand how the processing and fabrication methods affect them, and to familiarise the student with the common faults that can arise during production.
At a glance
- 02 - 06 Nov 2020
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£1,750 Concessions available
What you will learn
On successful completion of the module a diligent student will be able to:
- Assess and differentiate the macro and micro material structures of the various material families
- Evaluate the material properties and how they are affected by the material microstructures
- Evaluate how the chemical composition, microstructure and processing influences the properties of steels and non-ferrous metals
- Formulate likely causes of failure in a manufactured component.
- Introduction to materials families; metals, ceramics, polymers and composites
- Atomic/crystal structures, defects and dislocations
- Principles of metallography
- Phase diagrams and transformations
- Mechanical properties of materials
- Material processing, common faults and the resulting modes of failure
- Fabrication methods, common faults and the resulting modes of failure.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
This short course will be taught at Masters standard as it is one of the modules that comprise the postgraduate Forensic Modular Masters Programme. Registering for this Short Course for Credit and successfully passing the associated assessment will gain you 10 Cranfield credits. These could then be used to apply for a transfer towards a PgCert/PgDip or MSc in the Forensic Programme should you wish to complete one of these courses within 5 years.
AccreditationThe short courses are modules of the Forensic Modular Masters Programme, which is accredited by The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences.
- Dr Jon Painter - Module Leader
Sponsored by company - £1,750
Individual (anyone paying for themselves to attend) - £875
Alumni/Current Student - £435
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.