This module requires the application of core crime scene management skills to a simulated major scene investigation (Operation Yellow Broadhead). You will engage with aspects of the decision-making process and generate a body of primary documentation enabling the forensic investigation of a major incident. The exercise allows assessors to understand how you interlink your academic learning to your professional practise in a high stress environment.
You are then assessed on your presentation of an aspect of the recovery within a briefing environment. This allows a summative assessment of your ability to articulate the critical decision-making junctures associated with the operation.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
What you will learn
On successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Assess the application of major scene examination techniques in practise.
- Discuss the principles of major scene management to evidence reasoned decision-making in high pressure environments.
- Articulate the decision-making flowchart and its primary and secondary effects on the course of the operation.
- Create and adapt a forensic strategy and a set of tactical engagements that show dynamic response in relation to their use on a simulated scene.
- Critically appraise the range of roles and complexity of processes required on a successful major crime scene.
- Core major scene forensic processes.
- Formation of major scene forensic strategy.
- Implementation of forensic strategies.
- CSI photography and scene recording.
- Forensic intelligence evaluation and generation.
- Case studies
Upgrade to a professional qualification
Location and travel
Situated close to Milton Keynes and Bedford, the Cranfield campus is situated in Wharley End, very close to Cranfield village, and is about 10 minutes from the M1 motorway. There is rail and road access to most major airports as well as coach and train stations. Cranfield campus also has its own airport for private executive business travel.
Download a visitor guide including map, directions and health and safety information.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.