Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
This short course will introduce the basic philosophy of operational research and a selection of the analytical techniques used by practitioners.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
Short Course for Credit fee - £1,310
Standalone Short Course fee - £1,750
What you will learnOn successful completion you should be able to:
- use the basic concepts of probability,
- formulate problems into mathematical programming formulations,
- solve linear programming problems using a graphical method or the simplex algorithm,
- demonstrate understanding of the ideas of queuing theory by using mathematical methods to analyse queuing systems,
- classify simulations,
- design and carry out discrete event simulations,
- use a network algorithm to find the critical path through a network,
- formulate and solve dynamic programming problems,
- apply the basic principles of search theory.
- concepts of probability,
- mathematical programming:
- linear programming,
- onetwork analysis,
- dynamic programming,
- search theory,
- queuing theory.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
Find out more about short course credit points.
A limited number of MOD sponsored places are available.
There are limited places on these modules. You may not receive an offer until places have been confirmed, usually 1 to 2 weeks before the start date.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.