Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
At a glance
- 06 - 10 Sep 2021
- DurationFive days
Standalone Short Course fee - £1,750
Short Course for Credit fee - £1,050
Course structureA blended learning approach that is anchored around the face to face component of the module. The face to face delivery is centred upon lectures, seminars and workshops that introduce the underpinning concepts and broad subject matter along both theoretical and applied practice lines. The distance learning component of the blended approach aims to extend the foundational concepts taught during the residential phase, but also to prepare the students for the subsequent 100% distance learning core modules through providing a familiarity to approaches and Cranfield’s distance learning. The distance learning aspects of the module include podcasts, multimedia based resources such as traditional academic reading coupled with video based lectures and documentaries. These are partnered with an online quiz to provide formative feedback, and an online synchronous tutorial delivered via Skype between pre-assigned student groups and module academics.
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module a student should be able to:
- Identify how defence capability contributes to UK defence and security policy,
- Examine how technology contributes to acquiring of defence capability and how it is managed,
- Assess the effectiveness of the defence enterprise with respects to the development and acquisition of defence capability.
The course will cover the following topics:
- From Policy to Operations – defence and security in the UK,
- A global phenomenon – the international view,
- UK acquisition and reform,
- Current and future needs and drivers,
- Enabling defence and security technology,
- Beyond technology and people – an introduction to capability engineering,
- Integrated partnerships or reluctant bedfellows? - the UK defence and security enterprise,
- National and international case studies.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
Find out more about short course credit points.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.