Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
The course covers fire dynamics and the characteristics of explosives, their effects on buildings and people and the physical effects that would be looked for in their investigation.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£1,750 Concessions available
Course structureOne course per year. Each course lasts for 5 days.
What you will learn
On successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the fundamental principles of fire science theory and fire modelling and demonstrate a critical awareness of the limitations of current theories and modelling processes
- Identify the various physical and mechanical processes and mechanisms leading to the initiation of fire and of explosion
- Analyse the principles involved in the spread of fire and the development of vapour, dust and condensed explosions
- Demonstrate an understanding of the forensic techniques used in the examination of suspicious fire and explosive incidents.
- Fire Initiation
- Spontaneous Ignition and thermal explosion
- Fire spread in gases
- Dust explosions
- Pool fires
- Anaerobic fires
- Fire spread in solids
- Anatomy of a fire
- Effects of fire on the human
- Condensed explosives
- Forensic examination of fires and explosions
- Consideration of case studies.
Upgrade to a professional qualificationThis short course will be taught at Masters standard as it is one of the modules that comprise the postgraduate Forensic Modular Masters Programme. Registering for this accredited short course and successfully passing the associated assessment will gain you 10 Cranfield credits. These could then be used to apply for a transfer towards a PgCert/PgDip or MSc in the Forensic Programme should you wish to complete one of these courses within 5 years.
AccreditationThe short courses are modules of the Forensic Modular Masters Programme, which is accredited by The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences.
£766 - Individual (anyone paying for themselves to attend).
£383 - Student (a current student from any university or a former student of Cranfield University).
Accommodation options and pricesPlease contact us for information regarding accommodation.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.