This module looks in detail at the rise and development of evidence-based policing, both as a concept in policing studies and as a set of concrete applications deployed in operational policing. It aims to contextualise the specialist learning streams that will follow it within a wider framework of policing priorities, and to promote nuanced debate among the module participants regarding the nature of crime metrics, crime patterning, public policy with regard to policing and the role of police leaders.
- Crime Scene Leadership
- Disaster Response Science
- Search Science
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
What you will learn
On successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Compare and appraise a broad range of approaches to challenging major police investigations, demonstrating an understanding of the synergistic nature of forensic evidence and police investigation.
- Clearly conceptualise evidence-based policing, and outline aspects of its implementation.
- Model approaches to evidence based policing and devise systems of metrics that might allow for a falsifiable test of policing strategy.
- Compare and contrast UK and international approaches in evidence-based policing approaches.
- Evaluate the roles and responsibilities of a wide range of specialist policing roles.
• History and development of policing.
• Nature of specialist policing roles.
• International approaches to policing.
• Policing by consent.
• Growth and development of evidence-based policing.
• Metrics and analysis in social policy.
Accommodation options and prices
Please contact us for information regarding accommodation.
Location and travel
Situated close to Milton Keynes and Bedford, the Cranfield campus is situated in Wharley End, very close to Cranfield village, and is about 10 minutes from the M1 motorway. There is rail and road access to most major airports as well as coach and train stations. Cranfield campus also has its own airport for private executive business travel.
Download a visitor guide including map, directions and health and safety information.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.