The aim of the course is to enable students to critically analyse the challenges and key issues for the efficient and effective delivery of through life support solutions in the defence environment, and enable them to make better informed through life support management decisions.Read more Read less
At a glance
- 06 - 09 Jul 2020
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
Course structureThis 4 Day course is taught via a blend of presentations and group-based exercises delivered and run by Cranfield University academic staff and associates. Classroom discussions are accompanied by a visit to the Defence Academy’s Technology School to discuss the requirements surrounded by the physical equipment as examples.
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module a student should be able to:
- critique theoretical through life support good practice and real experience from commercial and international perspectives, and its relevance and applicability to defence;
- evaluate the applicability and utility of a range of decision support tools and approaches to better informed through life support decision making in the defence context and through the lifecycle;
- demonstrate a conceptual understanding of the broad direction of academic research, and of the development of new approaches and processes, in the field of through life support in defence.
- utilise UK and international public and private sector experience and perspectives to identify the determinants of effective and efficient through life support;
- critically analyse specific through life support solutions in defence, identifying their key characteristics, strengths and weaknesses, and assessing how they can be improved.
The course covers the following topics:
Defence Through Life Support Context and Overview
- through life support in context: in Defence in UK, and internationally;
- contracting for, and delivering TLS, and governance.
TLS through the Lifecycle
- TLS requirements, sourcing and manufacturing, support chain design, and support systems integration;
- supportability engineering, analysis, and the supply chain;
- support chain and physical supply chain operations in-service, including spares optimization, managing SC disruptions, turbulence and volatility, and obsolescence;
- end-of-life value recovery and sustainable practice.
The Costs of Supporting Capability Through Life
- cost of ownership, and the contribution of support costs to whole life costs;
- operation and support costs;
- support cost modelling and identifying and managing support cost drivers;
- leveraging better outcomes - linking support cost drivers to operational outputs.
Managing Performance in Through Life Support
- performance management; outcomes and assessment; measuring and managing what matters;
- decision support for operational availability, quantifying and managing the trade-offs;
- decision support for spares availability, quantifying and managing the trade-offs.
Managing Information for Through Life Support
- network enabled capability for TLS: Information needs for asset management and engineering support, commercial and Defence practice;
- agreeing and implementing a common language.
Who should attendThe course is aimed at managers and decision makers in acquisition, logistics, and through life support roles in Defence departments and in defence industry.
- Mr Richard Fisher
- Mr Leyton Lark (Associate)
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.