Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
Defence and Security Offset aims to provide the theoretical frameworks and practical skills to appreciate the purpose, process and performance of offset within a defence and security marketing context, and from the perspective of both the offshore vendor and recipient nations.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- DurationThree days
- LocationCranfield campus
Short Course for Credit fee - £1,840
Standalone Short Course fee - £1,155
Course structureLearning is based on a mixture of interactive lectures, real-life case studies (case histories and dilemmas), workshops and mini-debates largely class-based but with some pre-preparation required before the module begins. The course will be delivered over three full days. Guest lectures on police use of marketing communications and on key account management in a defence setting will be provided.
What you will learn
At the end of the module you will be able to:
- Apply and analyse offset in the global markets
- Evaluate strategies to negotiate offset proposals
- Apply the skills to evaluate the concepts, tools and processes of offset in business
- Critically analyse and compare the various offset policies
- Analyse offset strategies to act as a marketing tool to secure exports
- Determine and evaluate offset proposals
- Critically examine country-specific offset projects
The course will cover the following topics:
- Definitional scope and purposes of offset
- Market and technology drivers
- Offset theory and typology
- Offset policy mechanisms
- Comparative policy performance across states
- Offset policies and practice
- Evolvement of civil procurement – civil offset policies
- European Procurement Directive
- Offset success factors
- Examining the impact of offset
- Managing offsets
- Evaluating offset performance
- Offset and corruption
Upgrade to a professional qualification
When taken as a Short Course for Credit 10 credit points can be put towards the Defence and Security Export PgCert.
Who should attend
Students must have successfully completed Introductory Studies and Legal, Ethical and Political Frameworks for Defence in order to take this as a Short Course for Credit There are no prerequisites if taken as a Standalone Short Course.
It is suitable for those seeking employment or career progression in the sales and marketing arena of defence, aerospace and security organisations. Skills such as negotiations, offsets and trade compliance will prove attractive to employers seeking personnel in wider managerial fields, including contracts, commercial management as well strategic management.
Accommodation options and prices
Please contact us for information regarding accommodation.
Location and travel
Situated close to Milton Keynes and Bedford, the Cranfield campus is situated in Wharley End, very close to Cranfield village, and is about 10 minutes from the M1 motorway. There is rail and road access to most major airports as well as coach and train stations. Cranfield campus also has its own airport for private executive business travel.
Download a visitor guide including map, directions and health and safety information.
How to apply
To apply for this course please use the online application form.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.