Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
Defence and Security Marketing will introduce participants to the concepts of strategic marketing management and to the specialist nature of marketing communications in the defence sector. It seeks to provide students with a critical understanding of organisational buying behaviour in defence and security markets and of how new product development projects are undertaken given the increasingly co-operative focus of supply chain relationships in the defence sector.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- DurationThree days
- LocationCranfield campus
Standalone Short Course fee - £1,050
Short Course for Credit fee - £1,785
Course structureLearning is based on a mixture of interactive lectures, real-life case studies (case histories and dilemmas), workshops and mini-debates largely class-based but with some pre-preparation required before the module begins. The course will be delivered over three days.
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module you should be able to:
- Analyse the strategic marketing planning process to the defence and security sectors
- Analyse networks and apply best practice methods
- Evaluate the theory of how organizations behave when buying/procuring goods/services to real-life cases
- Critique conceptual understandings of marketing communications and new product development in defence settings
- Evaluate marketing communications, including lobbying, techniques in defence and security settings
The course will cover the following topics:
- The strategic marketing planning process
- Network analysis, including organisational constructs, social network analysis and relationships across the defence and security sector
- Organizational buying behaviour and b2b marketing
- Marketing communications and managing trade fair sales
- Specialist communications: defence lobbying
- Special applications: (Counter) terrorist uses of marketing
- Coursework workshop
Upgrade to a professional qualification
When taken as a Short Course for Credit, 10 credit points can be put towards the Defence and Security Export PgCert.
Who should attend
Students must have successfully completed Introductory Studies and Legal, Ethical and Political Frameworks for Defence in order to take this as a Short Course for Credit. There are no prerequisites if taken as a Standalone Short Course.
This course is suitable for those seeking employment or career progression in the sales and marketing arena of defence, aerospace and security organisations.
Accommodation options and pricesPlease contact us for information regarding accommodation.
Location and travel
Situated close to Milton Keynes and Bedford, the Cranfield campus is situated in Wharley End, very close to Cranfield village, and is about 10 minutes from the M1 motorway. There is rail and road access to most major airports as well as coach and train stations. Cranfield campus also has its own airport for private executive business travel.
Download a visitor guide including map, directions and health and safety information.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.