This module applies disaster response and management skills to a simulated disaster (Operation Red Builder). You will engage with aspects of the decision-making process and generate a body of primary documentation enabling the recovery and identification of a group of victims. The exercise allows assessors to understand how you interlink your academic learning to your professional practise in a high stress environment.
You are then assessed on your presentation of an aspect of the recovery within a briefing environment. This allows a summative assessment of your ability to articulate the critical decision-making junctures associated with the operation.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
Course structureLectures, Group Work, Practical, Blended learning
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module you should be able to:
- Critically appraise the application of mass fatality recoveries in practice.
- Justify the principles of mass fatality response to evidence reasoned decision-making in high pressure environments.
- Articulate the decision-making flowchart and its primary and secondary effects on the course of the operation.
- Create and adapt a DVI strategy and a set of tactical engagements that show dynamic response in relation to their use on a simulated scene.
- Evaluate the complexity of processes and the range of required on a successful DVI scene.
- Core DVI on-scene processes
- Formation of DVI SERM strategy
- Implementation of DVI strategies
- DVI photography and scene recording
- Body handling
- Case studies
Upgrade to a professional qualification
Location and travel
Situated close to Milton Keynes and Bedford, the Cranfield campus is situated in Wharley End, very close to Cranfield village, and is about 10 minutes from the M1 motorway. There is rail and road access to most major airports as well as coach and train stations. Cranfield campus also has its own airport for private executive business travel.
Download a visitor guide including map, directions and health and safety information.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.