Read more Read less
Successful completion of this module will enable you to progress to Capability and Acquisition Series Module 3.
At a glance
- 12 - 23 Oct 2020
- 22 Feb - 05 Mar 2021
- 21 Jun 2021 - 02 Jul 2020
- Duration10 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
Course structureBlended learning
What you will learn
This course will enable you to analyse and evaluate:
- The Defence Acquisition Model
- MOD project life cycle, known as Concept Assessment Development Manufacture In-service Disposal / Termination (CADMID/T)
- Defence Through Life Support
- Programme and Project Management
- The relationships between Portfolios, Programmes and Projects, including:
- Project Organisation and People
- Project Scheduling and Resource Analysis
- Project Budget and Cash Flow
- Risk Management and Estimating
- The Critical Aspects of why projects fail
- UK MOD tendering and the tender assessment process
You will also be given the opportunity to practice the skills and processes required on appointment to a specialist role in Acquisition.
Who should attend
This course is a prerequisite for a number of military posts.
If you are a civil servant, the course will provide you with the key skills needed to undertake a job in the capability and acquisition arena.
If you are an international student or from industry, the course will provide you with a working understanding of the process and lexicon the UK MOD use in the Capability and Acquisition arena.
The course is recognised as part of the military Capability and Acquisition FKSE (Functional Knowledge Skills and Experience).
If you successfully undertake all three modules from the Capability and Acquisition Series you will be awarded one or more of the following (depending on the learning pathway you have chosen):
- Managing Successful Programmes (Foundation)
- Managing Successful Programmes (Practitioner)
- Project Management Qualified (APM PMQ)
A limited number of MOD sponsored places are available.
You need to have read ‘How Defence Works’ and undertake one of the following:
- Navy – link via DLE to Navy Acquisition System Awareness eLearning v1.0, hosted on the DLE under courses
- RAF – link via DLE to Air Acquisition Awareness training hosted on the DLE, under schools / RAF / COS Cap
- Army – link via DLE to Acquisition System Awareness ELearning hosted on the DLE, under schools / Army / Army Intelligent Customer / ELearning
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.