Module 1 has replaced the Financial and Military Capability – Foundation course. Read more Read less
The Capability and Acquisition Series is a practitioner level course providing you with an awareness of how UK MOD undertakes the end to end process of sourcing and supporting new and existing military capability. The course will provide you with the practitioner level skills (with relevant experience) to undertake the task.
At a glance
- 14 - 17 Sep 2020
- 02 - 05 Nov 2020
- 30 Nov - 03 Dec 2020
- 25 - 28 Jan 2021
- 08 - 11 Mar 2021
- 12 - 15 Apr 2021
- 10 - 13 May 2021
- 14 - 17 Jun 2021
- Duration4 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
- Cost£1,400 Concessions available
Course structureBlended learning
What you will learn
Module 1 – Capability is a short course from the Capability and Acquisition Series.
You will acquire an understanding of the MOD’s capability management processes and their application in the development and generation of affordable and strategy-compliant force structures and military.
You will gain an awareness of:
- How defence works
- How the UK MOD develops and sets its capability requirements
- MOD commercial practice inclusive of the commercial life cycle
- MOD finance inclusive of the ABC process
- MOD investment appraisals process
The above topics are all contextualised in the UK MOD environment with practical examples being given throughout.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
The course uses a blended assessment approach which differs as follows by module:
- Module 1 (capability) – there will be a formative assessment and a quiz
Who should attend
This course is a prerequisite for a number of military posts.
If you are a civil servant, the course will provide you with the key skills needed to undertake a job in the capability and acquisition arena.
If you are an international student or from industry, the course will provide you with a working understanding of the process and lexicon the UK MOD use in the Capability and Acquisition arena.
The course is recognised as part of the military Capability and Acquisition FKSE (Functional Knowledge Skills and Experience).
If you successfully undertake all three modules from the Capability and Acquisition Series you will be awarded one or more of the following (depending on the learning pathway you have chosen):
- Managing Successful Programmes (Foundation)
- Managing Successful Programmes (Practitioner)
- Project Management Qualified (APM PMQ)
A limited number of MOD sponsored places are available.
You need to have read ‘How Defence Works’ and undertake one of the following:
- Introduction Defence Acquisition (IDA)
- Navy – link via DLE to Navy Acquisition System Awareness eLearning v1.0, hosted on the DLE under courses
- RAF – link via DLE to Air Acquisition Awareness training hosted on the DLE, under schools / RAF / COS Cap
- Army – link via DLE to Acquisition System Awareness ELearning hosted on the DLE, under schools / Army / Army Intelligent Customer / ELearning.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.